1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric potential in regions of concentric thin, conducing, spherical shells

1. Feb 3, 2004 #1
    two thin conducting spherical shells as shown below. the inner shell has a radius of r1=15.0cm and a charge of 10.0nC. the outer shell has a radius r2 = 30.0cm and a charge of -15.0nC. find the electric potential V in regions R1, R2, and outside the outer shell, with V = 0 at r = infinite.
    [​IMG]

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2004 #2
    What is the expression for Potential due to a Spherical shell

In General

[tex] V=\frac{Q}{4\pi \epsilon_0 R} **&\mbox{for}** r \leq R[/tex]

AND

[tex] V=\frac{Q}{4\pi \epsilon_0 r} **&\mbox{for}** r \geq R[/tex]

Last edited: Feb 3, 2004
  4. Feb 3, 2004 #3
    I disagree with the above equations. From Gauss' law, a spherical shell does not contribute at all to the potential inside it--it's easier to think about with gravity: if the earth were hollow, you could float around in it; you wouldn't be attracted to any point on the shell.

So if you're inside the shell, you don't see it; if you're outside the shell then (again by an application of Gauss' law) it affects you in the same way that a concentric point charge of the same total charge would, i.e., a one over R potential.

That should get you started; you treat two shells with the superposition principle (i.e., add the two potentials together.)

P

5. Feb 3, 2004 #4
    WHY it is not true

=> 0 which is not true.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?