1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric potential inside a cube

1. Mar 5, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A metal box has 6 walls, all insulated from one another. The left and right wall are held at V= V0, which are at y=-d and y=d. All the other walls are grounded.

The cube has dimensions where walls run from x=0 to x=2d, z=0 to z=2d, and y=-d to y=d.

2. Relevant equations

Seperation of variables in 3D:
    [itex]\frac{1}{X}[/itex][itex]\frac{\partial^{2} V}{\partial X}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{1}{Y}[/itex][itex]\frac{\partial^{2} V}{\partial Y}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{1}{Z}[/itex][itex]\frac{\partial^{2} V}{\partial Z}[/itex] =0

Boundary conditions:
    V(x,0) = 0
    V(x,2d) = 0
    V(y, -d) = V0
    V(y,d) = V0
    V(z,0) = 0
    V(z,2d) = 0

3. The attempt at a solution

I am thinking that there is symmetry around z, so we can only worry about x and y.

V(x,y) = (Asinh(kx) + Bcosh(kx))(Ce^{ky} + De^{-ky})
    which simplifies to (2cosh(ky)(Asinh(kx) + Bcosh(kx)).

Assuming all the above is correct, I am having issues at this point. I need to put this into a sum, which according to Griffiths should look something like

[itex]\sum[/itex] Cn cosh( npiy/a)sin(npix/a) = V0.

I don't understand how to simplify this. I have limits of integration, but I am not sure where an integral can arise from this.

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2013 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Seems more natural to me to have all three coordinates run from -d to +d.
    Yes, there are symmetries, but I don't see this allows you to write the potential as a function of only two coordinates. It should be an even function wrt x, y and z, and there should be a symmetry between x and z.

4. Mar 5, 2013 #3
    Ok, that makes sense. So, with all three coordinates, the expression should be:

∑ Cn cosh( npiy/a)sin(npix/a)sin(npiz) = V0.

But what's next?

5. Mar 5, 2013 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Just noticed this was wrong in the OP:
    You mean (1)## \frac{\partial^2 V}{\partial X^2}+\frac{\partial^2 V}{\partial Y^2}+\frac{\partial^2 V}{\partial Z^2} =0##and by separation of variables to V=F(x)G(y)H(z):
    (2) ##\frac1F\frac{\partial^2 F}{\partial X^2}=a_n, \frac1G\frac{\partial^2 G}{\partial Y^2}=b_n, \frac1H\frac{\partial^2 H}{\partial Z^2} =c_n## where ##a_n+b_n+c_n=0##.
    Surely that should be something like V(x,y,z) = ∑ Cn cosh( nπy/d)sin(nπx/d)sin(nπz/d). V0 applies whenever |y|=d:
    ∑ Cn cosh( npiy/a)sin(npix/a)sin(npiz) = V0.
    Even then, doesn't seem to me that it satisfies (1). Maybe need a √2 factor inside the cosh?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted