Electric potential inside a pipe

In summary, the conversation discusses using Laplace's equation in 2 dimensions for a potential problem, and suggests consulting textbooks for similar examples. It is suggested to look up "separation of variables" and "Laplace's equation", and a possible solution is proposed using a linear combination of individual solutions. However, there is some confusion about the boundary conditions and the variation of Vo(y).
aftershock

Homework Statement

EGDQm.jpg

Homework Equations

2V = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm guessing I need to use Laplace's equation in 2 dimensions since the potential depends on x and y. I have no idea how I would do this.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a pretty standard type of problem. Consult your textbook for similar examples, and then post your work.

vela said:
This is a pretty standard type of problem. Consult your textbook for similar examples, and then post your work.

The reason I'm having trouble is my textbook doesn't really have any examples for this. I figured I could at least find a similar example online but I'm not even sure what to search for.

That's surprising. You could check another E&M text. It's also covered in math methods texts, like Arfken, as well. Look up "separation of variables" and "Laplace's equation".

vela said:
That's surprising. You could check another E&M text. It's also covered in math methods texts, like Arfken, as well. Look up "separation of variables" and "Laplace's equation".

There actually is at least one example in the separation of variable section, I didn't think I needed to go into that for this problem, thanks.

Ok so I tried working out a solution but I went wrong somewhere.

From separation of variables I got:

V(x,y) = (Aekx+Be-kx)(Csin(ky)+Dcos(ky))

Boundary conditions:

V=0 when x=0
V=0 when y=0
V=0 when y=b
V=v0(y) when x=a

D=0 by the second condition, and I can then absorb C into A and B:

(Aekx+Be-kx)sin(ky)

-A = B by the first condition:

A[ekx-e-kx]sin(ky) = Asinh(kx)sin(ky)

k = n∏/b by the third condition:

Asinh(n∏x/b)sin(n∏y/b)

Now I'm pretty sure I'm supposed to do some sort of linear combination here to solve for A.

I did this instead. I'm pretty sure it's wrong but I'm not sure why?

By the 4th boundary condition:

Vo(y) = Asinh(n∏a/b)sin(n∏y/b)

solved for A, then plugged that into Asinh(n∏x/b)sin(n∏y/b)

I guess I can't do that since Vo(y) isn't constant? Still though... why?

aftershock said:

Sure you can do that as long is A comes out to be a constant. It must be a constant because you made the assumption that it was a constant.

The variation with y of Vo(y) is taken care of by something other than A in your solution.

aftershock said:
Ok so I tried working out a solution but I went wrong somewhere.

From separation of variables I got:

V(x,y) = (Aekx+Be-kx)(Csin(ky)+Dcos(ky))

Boundary conditions:

V=0 when x=0
V=0 when y=0
V=0 when y=b
V=v0(y) when x=a

D=0 by the second condition, and I can then absorb C into A and B:

(Aekx+Be-kx)sin(ky)

-A = B by the first condition:

A[ekx-e-kx]sin(ky) = Asinh(kx)sin(ky)

k = n∏/b by the third condition:

Asinh(n∏x/b)sin(n∏y/b)
Each value of n corresponds to a solution Vn, so you should write
$$V_n(x,y) = A_n \sinh (k_nx) \sin (k_ny).$$ The general solution is a linear combination of the individual solutions
$$V(x,y) = \sum_{n=1}^\infty A_n \sinh (k_nx) \sin (k_ny)$$ where ##k_n = n\pi/b##.

Now I'm pretty sure I'm supposed to do some sort of linear combination here to solve for A.

I did this instead. I'm pretty sure it's wrong but I'm not sure why?

1. What is electric potential inside a pipe?

Electric potential inside a pipe refers to the amount of electric potential energy per unit charge at a specific point inside the pipe. It is a measure of the electric field's strength at that point.

2. How is electric potential inside a pipe calculated?

The electric potential inside a pipe is calculated using the formula V = kQ/r, where V is the electric potential, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge, and r is the distance from the center of the pipe.

3. What factors affect the electric potential inside a pipe?

The electric potential inside a pipe is affected by the charge of the particles inside the pipe, the distance from the center of the pipe, and the material properties of the pipe such as its conductivity and shape.

4. Can the electric potential inside a pipe be negative?

Yes, the electric potential inside a pipe can be negative. This indicates that the electric field is directed in the opposite direction of the electric charge.

5. How is the electric potential inside a pipe related to electric current?

The electric potential inside a pipe is related to electric current through Ohm's law, V = IR, where V is the electric potential, I is the current, and R is the resistance of the pipe. As the electric potential increases, the current also increases.