Electric potential ( with angle)

In summary, the electric potential of a region of space is V= 200/sq root (x^2 + y^2), and the strength and direction of the electric field at (x,y) = (2m,1m) is 35.78x + 17.89y, with an angle of 26.6 degrees (counterclockwise above the x-axis) in quadrant I.
dmack15

Homework Statement

The electric potential of a region of space is V= 200 / sq root (x^2 + y^2), where x and y are in meters. What are the strength and direction of the electric field at (x,y) = (2m,1m)?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I took the negative derivative of V to find what the electric field would be. Then i substituted in (2,1)
200(2)(5)^-3/2 x + 200(5)^-3/2
=35.78x + 17.89 y

im having trouble figuring out where the angle should be. i do this a lot.

if i take the arctan or tan-1 of Ey/Ex

i get an angle of 26.6 degrees. Now is that 26.6 degrees ccw above the x-axis??
im having trouble figuring out where the final electric field will end up.
when i looked at the signs of x,y theyre both negative in the problem which means it would be quadrant 3.
even when i do 360-26.6 it ends in quadrant 4 which doesn't make sense

Please i don't need any help with the problem just with some help understanding the angle

Physics news on Phys.org
nevermind the x and y components are both positive so it falls in quadrant I.

thread closed

1. What is electric potential?

Electric potential is a measure of the potential energy that an object with an electric charge has at a certain point in space.

2. How is electric potential related to electric field?

Electric potential is related to electric field through the equation V = Ed, where V is the electric potential, E is the electric field, and d is the distance between the point in space and the source of the electric field.

3. What is the unit of electric potential?

The unit of electric potential is the volt (V), which is equivalent to joules per coulomb (J/C).

4. What is the difference between electric potential and electric potential energy?

Electric potential is a measure of the potential energy per unit charge at a certain point in space, while electric potential energy is the potential energy that a charged object has due to its position in an electric field.

5. How is electric potential affected by the angle between two points?

The angle between two points does not directly affect electric potential. However, the angle can impact the distance between the points, which can then affect the electric potential through the equation V = Ed.