1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric potential of a point

1. Jun 20, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let there be an infinite plate of positive charge density σ. Let there also be an uncharged conducting slab of a thickness h, placed above and parallel to the plate.

Without copying the question directly, I would like to know how one would calculate the electric potential for an arbitrary point C above the slab, at a distance c from the plate.

2. Relevant equations

V = kq/r, or 1/(4piε0)*(q/r)
    V(for a charge distribution) = 1/(4piε0)*integral(dq/r)

If relevant, electric field between two conducting plates with surface charge densities +/- σ is E = σ/ε0.

3. The attempt at a solution

Apologies if anything below is incorrect.

Given the positive charge density of the plate, the side of the slab closest to the plate will have a positive surface charge density and the side farthest from the plate will have a negative surface charge density. I am at a loss as to how the slab affects the potential at point C.

In addition, I am not quite sure what the thickness of the slab has to do with this problem.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted