What is the electric potential at the center of the cylinder?

In summary: It seems like you're trying to do a lot of calculations without a good foundation.Yes, integration is a common method in electrical engineering.In summary, the electric potential at the center of a cylinder with uniform surface charge density is V=kQ/r.

Homework Statement

A hollow cylindrical shell of length L and radius R has charge Q uniformly distributed along its length.

What is the electric potential at the center of the cylinder?

Homework Equations

n = Q/A
V = kQ/r

The Attempt at a Solution

1) the cylinder has uniform surface charge densitiy n = Q/A;
where A = 2piR^2 + 2piRL = area of cylinder
therefore: n = Q/(2piR^2 + 2piRL)

2) now i am stuck...because for the two circle parts of the cylinder (2 disks) i know i can find the potential by dividing the disk into rings and then using integration...but i don't know how to incorporate the length of the cylinder into the problem before intergation...i mean i know know how to start dividing the cylinder into small pieces and then using the surface charge desity and then intigrating to find the equation?

please give me as much info about this quesition as posible...since the assignment is due tomorrow and this is the only problem i have left to do

thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
As I read the problem, I think the ends are open, so the charge is only on the curved surface. Use the potential on the axis of a ring and integrate to get your answer.

pam said:
As I read the problem, I think the ends are open, so the charge is only on the curved surface. Use the potential on the axis of a ring and integrate to get your answer.

The ends don't play any role because the electrical field lines will be tangetial with respect to these surfaces !

What matters is this :
a) is the charge distributed along the surface ? If yes : Gauss's law teaches us that E=0 inside the cylinder

b) is the charge distributed along the volume of the cylinder ? If yes, E will be non zero.

To calculate E and then the potential, one can apply the law of Gauss ! You will need the electrical flux through a second cylinder, inside the given cylinder + the total charge inside the second cylinder!

marlon

marlon

Last edited:
Since the problem refers to "charge Q uniformly distributed along its length", it implies that the ends are open.
Gauss's law does not imply that E=0 or anything else.
Gauss's law cannot be used to find the potential at the center, because the configuration does not have enough symmetry with a finite length cylinder. Use the method in post #2.

pam said:
Gauss's law does not imply that E=0 or anything else.
Gauss's law cannot be used to find the potential at the center, because the configuration does not have enough symmetry with a finite length cylinder. Use the method in post #2.
Not enough symmetry ? It's a cylinder with a charge that is uniformely distributed along the surface ? What extra symmetry do you need ?

Seems to me you have some conceptual problems with the Law of Gauss...

marlon

Last edited:
It is of finite length, so E is not constant along its length.
One of us does.

The problem says "At the center of the cylinder."...

Dr Transport said:
The problem says "At the center of the cylinder."...
Is that relevant to the use of Gauss's law?

pam said:
Is that relevant to the use of Gauss's law?

yes what matters is whether you are inside or outside the cylinder

marlon

You might have to

1. divide the cylinder into circular rings
2. pair them up about the centre (which cancels any component of the E-field in the direction of the cylinder)
3. work out the E-field component in the direction perpendicular to the cylinder by integrating over one of the two rings and doubling.
4. integrate this E-field component from the centre of the cylinder to infinity, in a direction perpendicular to the cylnder to get the potential (by convention the potential is set to zero at infinity)

But have you been taught integration?

1. What is electric potential?

Electric potential is a measure of the electric potential energy per unit charge at a specific point in an electric field.

2. How is electric potential calculated?

Electric potential is calculated by dividing the electric potential energy by the amount of charge at a specific point in an electric field.

3. What is the difference between electric potential and electric potential energy?

Electric potential is a measure of the electric potential energy per unit charge at a specific point, while electric potential energy is the potential energy that a charged particle has due to its position in an electric field.

4. Does electric potential have a direction?

Electric potential is a scalar quantity, meaning it does not have a direction. It is only concerned with the magnitude of the potential energy per unit charge at a specific point.

5. How does the electric potential at the center of a cylinder differ from other points on the cylinder?

The electric potential at the center of a cylinder is constant and does not depend on the distance from the center, unlike other points on the cylinder where the potential may vary based on distance. This is due to the symmetry of the electric field around the center of the cylinder.