1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric potential of cylinder

1. Oct 1, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An insulating solid cylinder of radius R, length L carries a uniformly distributed electric charge with density [itex] \rho [/itex]. Chose the z-axis along the axis of the cylinder, z=0 in the middle of the cylinder. the cylinder can be boken down into curcular tabs (disks) of thickness dl and surface charge [itex] \sigma [/itex], the combined slabs integrated over dl make up the cylinder.
    (a)Find the potential on the z axis due to a disk; express [itex] \sigma [/itex] in terms of [itex] \rho [/itex].
    (b) find the potential on the z-axis V(z) for the entire cylinder.
    (c)Calculate the electric field on the z-axis.

3. The attempt at a solution
    (a) i drew a disk of radius R, and called the point where im calculating the potential at a point P. The disk is the sum of rings (of radius r) from 0 to R, the line from the center of the disk to the point P is z and the line connecting radius r to point P is r'.
    The charge distribution [itex] \sigma =dq/dA [/itex] which turns into [itex] dq=\sigma 2\pi rdr[/itex]

Potential is:
    [tex] V=k\int \frac{dq}{r'} [/tex]

Plugging the dq into the potential you get:
    [tex] V=k \int \frac{\sigma 2\pi rdr}{\sqrt{r^2 + z^2}} [/tex]

Which reduces to:
    [tex] V=\frac{\sigma *\sqrt{R^2 +z^2}}{2 \epsilon_0} [/tex]

Where [itex] \sigma=\rho dl [/itex]

Which gives:
    [tex] V=\rho \frac{ \sqrt{R^2 + z^2} dl}{2\epsilon_0} [/tex]

(b) I know i have to sum the potentials of all the disks to make the cylinder, but idk how to do that.

is it:
    [tex] V=\int_{-L/2}^{L/2} \rho \frac{\sqrt{R^2 + z^2}dl}{2\epsilon_0} [/tex]
    ???

(c) when i get the answer to (b) i can just take the (-)gradient of it to get E

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2013 #2
    For part (b), is it:
    [tex] V=\int_{-L/2}^{L/2} \rho \frac{\sqrt{R^2 +z^2}dz}{2\epsilon_0} [/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted