1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Potential on the z-axis

1. Jan 29, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Use direct integration over the charge on a wire segment to find the potential V(z) on the z-axis due to a finite segment of wire with linear charge density lambda extending along the x-axis from x = - a/2 to +a/2

2. Relevant equations

The electric potential dV at some point P due to the charge element dq is
    dV = ke dq / r
    where r is the distance from the charge element to point P.

Thus the total potential can be found by integrating:

V = ke integral of dq / r

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm sort of lost here, but I have a few thoughts. I'd appreciate some critique of my work here and hopefully some help...unless, of course, I'm right. Then letting me know that would surely help :D.

I assume the wire has length a (since it extends from - a/2 to +a/2). Using right-triangle geometry, I believe the distance from the x-axis to any element on the z-axis will be equal to the square root of a^2 + b^2 (where b is the distance on the z-axis). So, I'll integrate this over the limits x = o to x = a and I come up with V = ke lamdba integral of dx / square root of a^2 + b^2. Such an integral appears in the table in my book and so V becomes equal to
    ke lamda ln(a + (square root of a^2 + b^2).

Am I close here...or way off? Thanks a bunch for any help!

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted