1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric potential problem ?

1. Oct 26, 2006 #1
    A positive charge Q between two charge , a positive charge and a negative charge .Now I want to find the electric potential at the positive charge Q due to both the charges . The problem I am facing is do I need to minus the
    electric potential due to charge positive with the electric potential due to charge negative . I have this problem because the electric potential is a scalar quantity , so if I minus it , it will look like it is a vector quantity .So do I need to minus it or add it together ?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2006 #2
    Because Potential is a scalar quantitu , Vnet=V(+) + V(-) , that is summation of potential at that point due to positive charge + potential at that point due to negative charge , while writing the potential terms take the charge +Q or -Q as the case maybe...
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?