Electric Potential and Field of a Uniformly Charged Ring

In summary, the electrical potential at a distance x measured along the axis from the center of a circular ring of radius R on which a charge Q is uniformly distributed is V=-Q/4*pi*ε(x^2+R^2)^1/2. The electric field strength at this point is E=dV/dx.
debwaldy

Homework Statement

derive an expression for the electrical potential at a distance x measured along the axis from the centre of a circular ring of radius R on which a charge Q is uniformly distributed.hence derive an expression for the electric field strength at this point

Homework Equations

to be honest I am not too sure where to go after:
V= -⌠E.dl
any guidance at all would be much appreciated!thanks:biggrin:

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like a start, what if the "ring" were simply two charges, each of 1/2Q, and -r,0 and r,0 relative to a test charge at 0,x. What would that look like?

This simply involves a lil integration.

Q is distributed uniformly throughout the ring. This linear charge denstity on it would be lambda= Q/2pi*R.

Let dV due to each infinitesimally small element (dl) on the ring = (1/4pi*epsilon)*(lambda*dl/(x^2+R^2)^1/2.

Then just integrate from 0 to 2pi*R.

oh i see, so its ok to treat them as 2 separate point charges and then sum the electric potentials at the end.
doing this i got an expression:
V= - Q/4*pi*ε(x^2 + R^2)^1/2

and E= dV/dx
E = - [Qx]/[4*pi*ε(x^2 + r^2)^3/2]

no, what i meant was look at it first as 2 point charges, then 4, then an infinite number spread around the ring, but Mr 4 points the way I was hinting at in post above directly.

Quite so. I think your logic would be more useful in some questions. Thanks for that denverdoc.

Mr.4 said:
Quite so. I think your logic would be more useful in some questions. Thanks for that denverdoc.

Still getting the hang of helping without doing the work, ie trying to help posters conceptualize w/o telling them how to pursue directly. Sometimes I think I just add to the confusion:grumpy:
J

Nope. I get you loud and clear! Maybe its coz I'm just as confusing!

What is an electric potential problem?

An electric potential problem is a type of physics problem that involves calculating the potential energy of a charged particle or system in an electric field. It is often used in the study of electromagnetism.

How do you calculate electric potential?

To calculate electric potential, you can use the equation V = kQ/r, where V is the potential, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of the particle, and r is the distance from the particle to a reference point. Alternatively, you can integrate the electric field over a distance using the equation V = -∫E•dr.

What is the difference between electric potential and electric potential energy?

Electric potential is a measure of the potential energy per unit charge at a given point in an electric field. It is a scalar quantity, meaning it has only magnitude. Electric potential energy, on the other hand, is the potential energy of a charged particle or system due to its position in an electric field. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

How does distance affect electric potential?

The electric potential is inversely proportional to the distance from the charged particle or system. This means that as the distance increases, the electric potential decreases. This is because the electric field, which is responsible for the potential, weakens with distance.

What are some real-life applications of electric potential problems?

Electric potential problems have many practical applications in everyday life, such as in the design of electrical circuits and electronic devices. They are also used in the study of static electricity, lightning, and the behavior of charged particles in the atmosphere. Additionally, electric potential problems are essential in the development of technologies such as batteries, solar cells, and electric motors.