Electric Potential Problem?

In summary, the problem involves determining the electric potential at the midpoints of each side of an equilateral triangle with three charges at its corners. The equations used are V=kQ/r, and the simplified versions are (-8 + 4/sqrt(3))Q/L for the left side, (-4 - 4/sqrt(3))Q/L for the right side, and (-3 + 4/sqrt(3))Q/L for the top side. Actual numerical values can be obtained by plugging in values for Q, L, and k.
AnnieF

Homework Statement

Three charges are at the corners of an equilateral triangle (side L). Determine the potential at the midpoint of each of the sides.

Here is the picture:

http://www.solutioninn.com/physics/...es-are-at-the-corners-of-equilateral-triangle

Homework Equations

V= kQ/r

The Attempt at a Solution

Side 1 (Left Side):

-kQ/.5L-3q/.5L+kQ/sqrt(3/4)L= -4KQ/.5L+KQ/sqrt(3/4)L= -8KQ/L+ KQ/sqrt(3/4)L

Side 2 (Right Side):

-3kQ/.5L + kQ/.5L - kQ/sqrt(3/4)L = -4kQ/L- KQ/sqrt(3/4) L

Side 3 (top):

-kQ/.5 L + kQ/.5L- 3kQ/sqrt(3/4)L= -3KQ/sqrt(3/4)L

That is all I have.. I really don't feel like I am doing this right, and if I am I am not sure how to simplify these more..Is the problem looking for actual numbers?

Physics news on Phys.org
Or is it okay to leave it as a variable?

Hello,

Thank you for your post. Your equations are correct, but you can simplify them further by factoring out common terms. Also, since the charges are all the same magnitude, you can use just one variable (Q) instead of kQ. The problem is looking for actual numbers, so you will need to plug in values for Q, L, and k in order to get a numerical answer for the potential at each midpoint.

Here is a simplified version of your equations:

Side 1 (Left Side):

V = -8Q/L + Q/sqrt(3/4)L = (-8 + 1/sqrt(3/4))Q/L = (-8 + 4/sqrt(3))Q/L

Side 2 (Right Side):

V = -4Q/L - Q/sqrt(3/4)L = (-4 - 1/sqrt(3/4))Q/L = (-4 - 4/sqrt(3))Q/L

Side 3 (Top):

V = -3Q/sqrt(3/4)L = (-3 + 4/sqrt(3))Q/L

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is electric potential?

Electric potential is the amount of work required to move a unit positive charge from a reference point in an electric field to a specific point in that field. It is a scalar quantity and is measured in volts (V).

2. How is electric potential different from electric field?

Electric potential is a scalar quantity while electric field is a vector quantity. Electric potential is a measure of the potential energy of a charge in an electric field, while electric field is a measure of the force exerted on a charge in an electric field.

3. What is the relationship between electric potential and electric field?

The relationship between electric potential and electric field is given by the formula E = -∇V, where E is the electric field, V is the electric potential, and ∇ is the gradient operator. This means that the electric field is the negative gradient of the electric potential.

4. How is electric potential calculated?

Electric potential is calculated by dividing the work done in moving a unit positive charge from a reference point to a specific point in an electric field by the charge itself. Mathematically, it is expressed as V = W/q, where V is the electric potential, W is the work done, and q is the charge.

5. What is the significance of electric potential in practical applications?

Electric potential is an important concept in understanding and analyzing the behavior of electric charges in various applications such as electronics, electrochemistry, and power generation. It is also used in determining the direction and magnitude of electric current flow in circuits.