Electric Potential problem

In summary, the problem involves two particles with different masses and the same charge initially held in place and then released. Using the conservation of energy, the equation kq^2/r(initial)=kq^2/r(final)+1/2mv^2 was used to find the initial distance between the particles. However, since the system contains both particles, the equation should include two kinetic energy components, one for each particle. To find the velocity of the second particle, the conservation of momentum can be used by adding the second kinetic energy component to the equation. This results in two unknowns, the velocity of the second particle and the initial distance between the particles.
NeoKrypt
One particle has a mass of 3.00x10^-3 kg and a charge of +7.80 µC. A second particle has a mass of 6.00x10^-3 kg and the same charge. The two particles are initially held in place and then released. The particles fly apart, and when the separation between them is 0.100 m, the speed of the 3.00x10^-3 kg particle is 130 m/s. Find the initial separation between the particles.

Using the information given from the 3x10^-3 kg particle, I tried to use enegry to solve the problem. EPEinitial=EPEfinal+KE I subsituted and eventually ended up with kq^2/r(initial)=kq^2/r(final)+1/2mv^2. I solved the equation for r(final) and I got an answer that made sense, but it was not the right answer. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
remember that with energy problems you have to keep in mind what the "system" is that you are evaluating. In this case, the system contains BOTH particles, so the right side of the equation should contain two kinetic energy components (one for each particle).
The new question now is what is the speed of the other particle?

Last edited:
If you take the system as a whole, net force is zero. So may be we can use the conservation of mometum to find the velocity of the other particle

So if I add the other kenetic energy to the other side of the equation I get kq^2/r(initial)=kq^2/r(final)+1/2mV^2+1/2mv^2. Instead of one unknown in the equation I now have two, the velocity of the second particle and the initial distance between the particles? How do I go about getting the velocity of the second particle?

1. What is electric potential?

Electric potential is a measure of the amount of work needed to move a unit of positive charge from one point in an electric field to another point. It is also known as voltage and is measured in volts.

2. How is electric potential different from electric field?

Electric potential is a scalar quantity that describes the potential energy of a charge in an electric field. It is a property of the electric field itself. On the other hand, electric field is a vector quantity that describes the force experienced by a charge in an electric field. It is a property of the charge itself.

3. What is the formula for electric potential?

The formula for electric potential is V = kQ/r, where V is the electric potential, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge, and r is the distance from the charge.

4. Can electric potential be negative?

Yes, electric potential can be negative. It depends on the direction of the electric field and the location of the reference point. If the electric field points in the opposite direction of the movement of a positive charge, the electric potential will be negative.

5. How is electric potential related to electric potential energy?

Electric potential energy is the potential energy of a charge in an electric field. It is directly proportional to electric potential, so as electric potential increases, electric potential energy also increases.