1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric potential question.

1. Apr 26, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two spherical conductors of radii r1 and r2 are separated by a distance much greater than the radius of either sphere. The spheres are connected by a conducting wire as shown in the figure. The charges on the spheres in equilibrium are q1 and q2, respectively, and they are uniformly charged

25-25.gif

What if initially a charge 2.5 C is put on shell #1 with radius 4.3 m, then a far away shell #2 (initially neutral) with radius 7.3 m is connected to shell #1 by a long conducting wire.
    (a) What is the final charge on shell #1?

(b) What is the final charge on shell #2?

(c) What is the electric potential V on shell #1?

(d) What is the electric potential V on shell #2?

2. Relevant equations

V=ke(q/r)

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that the electric potentials of the two shells are equal due to the conducting wire. It says that the conducting wire is "long" so I believe they behave like point charges and I would use the equation I listed. So I figured I would set the equations for the two shells equal and solve, like so:

ke(q1/r1) =
    ke(q2/r2)

and solve for the unknown q. I thought this would give me the answer to part A but I was marked wrong... can anyone tell me what I'm doing incorrectly?

Thanks

Last edited: Apr 26, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2009 #2
    Nevermind, I got it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook