Calculating Electric Potential and Kinetic Energy for Moving Charges

In summary, the conversation is about solving two physics problems involving electric charges and potential. The first problem involves finding the kinetic energy of a particle moving due to the presence of a fixed charge, while the second problem involves calculating the electric potential at a specific point on the x-axis. The conversation includes equations and calculations for both problems, with uncertainty about the accuracy of the second solution.
lawandb
I have solved these and got an answer but i have no idea if i have the right work or answer. Can anyone help me with any of these questions? or just tell me what the answer is so i know if i have done it right. Thanx.

1. A particle (charge 7.5x10^(-6)C)is released from rest at a point on the x-axis, x=0.1m. It begins to move due to the presence of a 2.0x10^(-6)C charge which remains fixed at the origin. What is the kinetic energy of the particle at the instant it passes the point x=1.0m?

2. A charge of uniform density (0.80 nC/m) is distributed along the x-axis from the origin to the point x=0.1m. What is the electric potential (relative to zero at infinity) at a point x=0.18m, on the a-axis?

Physics news on Phys.org
What have you done?

Here's what i did

1. let *=change in
*K=-*U
*K+*U=0
*U=q(*V)
*V=V2-V1=(k(q1)/r1)-(k(q2)/r2)=(k(7.5nC))/.9-(k (2nC))/.1=1.05x10^5
q(*V)=-7.875x10^-1
*K=7.875x10^-1
--------------------------------------------------------------

2. V=k(.8nC)/.1=72, I'm pretty sure this one is wrong though.

1. What is electric potential?

Electric potential is a measure of the electric potential energy per unit charge at a specific point in an electric field. It represents the amount of work required to move a unit positive charge from infinity to that point in the electric field.

2. How is electric potential different from electric field?

Electric potential is a scalar quantity that describes the potential energy at a point in an electric field, while electric field is a vector quantity that represents the force per unit charge at a point in an electric field. Electric potential is dependent on the electric field, but the electric field is not dependent on electric potential.

3. Can electric potential be negative?

Yes, electric potential can be negative. This means that more work is required to move a unit positive charge from infinity to that point, compared to a point with a positive electric potential.

4. What is the unit of electric potential?

The unit of electric potential is the volt (V), which is equivalent to one joule per coulomb (J/C).

5. How is electric potential calculated?

Electric potential can be calculated by dividing the electric potential energy by the charge at a specific point in an electric field. It can also be calculated by multiplying the electric field by the distance between two points in the field.