Electric Potential Question

In summary: Um, no. If the vertex is at E = -47.5 N/C, then that is the "height" of the triangle. h is not a separate variable here, it simply represents the height of the triangle under consideration.
dect117
1. Homework Statement :

A graph of the x component of the electric field as a function of x in a region of space is shown in the figure [attached] below. The scale of the vertical axis is set by Exs = 47.5 N/C. The y and z components of the electric field are zero in this region. Suppose that the electric potential at the origin is 14 V.

(a) What is the electric potential at x = 2.0 m
(b) What is the greatest positive value of the electric potential for points on the x axis for which
0 ≤ x ≤ 6.0 m?
(c) For what value of x is the electric potential zero?

Homework Equations

:[/B]
[tex]V_f-V_i=-\int_{i}^{f} \vec E \cdot d \vec s[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

:[/B]

For part (a), I began by substituting in the appropriate values.
$$V_f-14=-\int_{0}^{2} E~d x$$
After integrating, I got
$$V_f-14=-E\left( 2 \right)$$
Finally, I substituted -47.5 in for E and solved for Vf.
$$V_f=47.5\left( 2 \right)+14=109$$

The answer I got was incorrect, though, and I can't see where I went wrong. I haven't really attempted parts (b) or (c) yet.

Attachments

• 24-p-008.gif
    24-p-008.gif
    3.2 KB · Views: 381
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you need to check how you performed your integration. The value of E is not constant over the distance.

Hint: Think of the integral as the area "under" the curve. In the case of part (a), the area of interest stretches from x = 0 to x = 2 m.

upload_2018-3-20_20-12-48.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-3-20_20-12-48.png
    upload_2018-3-20_20-12-48.png
    1.7 KB · Views: 768
gneill said:
I think you need to check how you performed your integration. The value of E is not constant over the distance.

Hint: Think of the integral as the area "under" the curve. In the case of part (a), the area of interest stretches from x = 0 to x = 2 m.

View attachment 222429
Oh crap, I completely ignored that the electric field isn't constant. So if the integral of dx is the area of a triangle, would the height just be 1?

dect117 said:
Oh crap, I completely ignored that the electric field isn't constant. So if the integral of dx is the area of a triangle, would the height just be 1?
The "height" is determined by the scale of the vertical axis, and where on the curve your triangle vertex lies.

gneill said:
The "height" is determined by the scale of the vertical axis, and where on the curve your triangle vertex lies.
So h = -47.5? If so, I get $$V_f-14=-\frac 1 2 E b h=-\frac 1 2 \left( -47.5 \right)^2 \left( 2 \right)$$ which doesn't yield the correct answer. Isn't the value of E also -47.5?

If h = 1, then I get $$V_f-14=-\frac 1 2 \left( -47.5 \right) \left( 2 \right)=47.5$$ $$V_f=47.5+14=61.5$$ which WebAssign says is the correct answer to part (a). I am very confused. lol

dect117 said:
If h = 1, then I get $$V_f-14=-\frac 1 2 \left( -47.5 \right) \left( 2 \right)=47.5$$ $$V_f=47.5+14=61.5$$ which WebAssign says is the correct answer to part (a). I am very confused. lol

I don't understand your use of "h". In your work you use -47.5 N/C for the "height" of the triangle, not 1 N/C.

gneill said:
I don't understand your use of "h". In your work you use -47.5 N/C for the "height" of the triangle, not 1 N/C.
E = -47.5, no? If so, then -47.5 will be squared if h is also equal to -47.5.

dect117 said:
E = -47.5, no? If so, then -47.5 will be squared if h is also equal to -47.5.
Um, no. If the vertex is at E = -47.5 N/C, then that is the "height" of the triangle. h is not a separate variable here, it simply represents the height of the triangle under consideration. In this case, for part (a) of the problem, the height of the triangle happens to be -47.5 N/C.

What is electric potential?

Electric potential is a measure of the amount of electric potential energy per unit charge at a given point in an electric field.

What is the difference between electric potential and electric potential energy?

Electric potential is a measure of the potential energy per unit charge, while electric potential energy is the total potential energy of a system of charges.

How is electric potential calculated?

Electric potential is calculated by taking the product of the electric field and the distance between the point of interest and a reference point.

What is the unit of measurement for electric potential?

The unit of measurement for electric potential is volts (V).

How is electric potential related to electric potential energy?

Electric potential energy is directly related to electric potential, as the change in electric potential energy is equal to the product of electric potential and charge.