1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Potential Questions

1. Feb 9, 2010 #1
    Any answers would be great, thanks!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    1. A charge Q is uniformly spread along the x-axis from x=0 to x=l. Find the electric potential function at points on the x-axis for x>l.

2. An electron moves from one point to another where the second point has a larger value of the electric potential by 5 volts. If the initial velocity was zero, how fast will the electron be going at the second point? (The mass of the electron is 9.11E-31 kg)

3. Suppose an electron were moving in a straight line towards a fixed nucleus which had a positive charge 8 times the size of the charge on an electron. If the electron started at infinity with essentially zero velocity, how fast would it be moving when it was 50E-11 m from the nucleus?

2. Relevant equations

Coulomb's Law = [tex]\alpha[/tex]*[q1*q2]/r^2
    where [tex]\alpha[/tex]=1/[4*[tex]\pi[/tex]*[tex]\epsilon[/tex][tex]_{}0[/tex]

U=1/[4*pi*epsilon-sub0]*[q*q sub0]/r

V=U/[q sub0]

3. The attempt at a solution

1. dV=1/[4*pi*epsilon]*[(Q/l)*dx]/[x-l]
    dV=1/[4*pi*epsilon]*Q/l
    I don't know what to do with this one, the answer has a natural log (ln) in it.

2. KE(initial) + U(initial) = KE(final) + U(final)
    0+1/[4*pi*epsilon]*q/r = 1/2 * m * v(final)^2 + 1/[4*pi*epsilon]*q/r
    Not sure what to do here either, seem to have three unknowns
    Answer = 1.33E6 m/s

3. KE(initial) + U(initial) = KE(final) + U(final)
    0=1/2*9.109E-31(mass of an electron)*v(final)^2+9E9*[8*(1.6E-19)^2]/[50E-11]
    I don't understand this one either

Thanks for all the help!

Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2010 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Let s be the position on the x axis at which the potential is measured. Write out the expression for potential due to the charge element Qdx/l at a position x where [itex]0 \le x \le l[/itex]

How much kinetic energy does the electron acquire in moving to the second point? (Hint: for a negative charge, the second position is at a lower potential energy per unit negative charge by 5 joules/coulomb).

What is the potential energy of the electron at infinity? What is it at the given distance? Where does that potential energy go?

AM

4. Feb 10, 2010 #3
    I'm still not getting question 4...

5. Feb 10, 2010 #4
    There is no question 4.

6. Feb 10, 2010 #5
    sorry it's 4 in my book, question 1

7. Feb 10, 2010 #6
    The electric potential at point P, along the line, is kq/r d is the distance from the end of the rod to the point.
    So...
    [tex] dV = \frac{k}{x}dq [/tex]
    [tex] dq = \lambda dx = Q/L dx [/tex]
    [tex] dV = \frac{kQ}{Lx}dx [/tex]
    Then integrate from d to L + d.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
  8. Feb 10, 2010 #7
    Ok thanks! Got it!
    I had:
    int[k*[(Q/L)dx]/(a-x)] from 0,L

where L is the distance of where the charge is spread

Thanks a lot!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook