How Should Electric Potential Energy Be Ranked at Point P?

In summary, the electric potential energy at point P is ranked as U2 > U1 = U3 = U4, and it is defined as the work done by the electric field on a unit positive charge while it moves from P to the place where the potential is zero. The electric field around a charge q is E=kq/r2 and the potential U(rP) is given by U(rP)=kq/rP.
STEMucator
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

Rank the electric potential energy at point ##P## for the following four cases:

http://gyazo.com/c7d9df3d3d64cda909ddc0d2ab7686bc

Homework Equations

##\Delta U_e = - W_∞##

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe it should be ##U_2 > U_1 > U_3 > U_4##, but I am not certain.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you think what you believe? How is electric potential defined? And what is the electric potential at distance r from a point charge q?

ehild

Likes 1 person
ehild said:
Why do you think what you believe? How is electric potential defined? And what is the electric potential at distance r from a point charge q?

ehild

Ah I see, so ##V = k \frac{q}{r}## in combination with ##V = \frac{U_e}{q}##.

This yields ##U_2 > U_1 = U_3 = U_4##.

Thank you.

Zondrina said:
Ah I see, so ##V = k \frac{q}{r}## in combination with ##V = \frac{U_e}{q}##.

This yields ##U_2 > U_1 = U_3 = U_4##.

Thank you.

The solution is correct now.

Yes, the potential is the potential energy of a unit positive charge at a certain point of the electric field. It is defined with the work done by the field:
The potential at a point P is equal to the work done by the electric field on a unit positive charge while it moves from P to the place where the potential is zero.

You know from Gauss Law that the electric field around a charge q is E=kq/r2. It is a conservative field. The potential U(r_P) is the work on a unit positive charge when it moves from rP to infinity: [tex]U(r_P)=W\big |_{r_P}^{\infty}=\int _{r_P}^{\infty}{\frac{kq}{r^2}dr}=k\frac{q}{r_P}[/tex].

ehild

Likes 1 person
Can someone please confirm or correct me if I am wrong?

I would like to clarify that the question is asking for the ranking of electric potential energy at point ##P##, not the change in electric potential energy. Therefore, the correct ranking would be: ##U_3 > U_4 > U_1 > U_2##. This is because the electric potential energy is directly proportional to the distance between the point and the source of the electric field, with greater distance resulting in lower potential energy. In this case, as the distance from the positive charge increases, the electric potential energy at point ##P## decreases.

1. What is electric potential rank?

Electric potential rank is a way of measuring the strength of an electric field at a specific point in space. It is a scalar quantity that represents the amount of work needed to move a unit of positive charge from a reference point to the point in question.

2. How is electric potential rank different from electric potential energy?

Electric potential rank is a measure of the electric field strength at a point, while electric potential energy is a measure of the potential energy of a charged particle in an electric field. Electric potential rank is a property of the electric field, while electric potential energy is a property of the charged particle.

3. What are the units of electric potential rank?

The SI unit of electric potential rank is volts (V), which is equivalent to joules per coulomb (J/C). In CGS units, the unit is ergs per statvolt (erg/statV).

4. How is electric potential rank calculated?

Electric potential rank is calculated by dividing the electric potential energy of a charged particle at a specific point by the charge of the particle. This can be represented by the equation V = U/q, where V is the electric potential rank, U is the electric potential energy, and q is the charge of the particle.

5. What is the relationship between electric potential rank and electric field?

Electric potential rank and electric field are closely related. The electric field is the negative gradient of the electric potential rank, meaning that the electric field points in the direction of decreasing electric potential rank. In other words, the direction of the electric field is the direction in which a positive charge would move if placed in the electric field.