1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric potential (rod)

1. Mar 14, 2009 #1
    [SOLVED] Electric potential

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The charge on the rod of the figure (length 2l, center at the origin) has a nonuniform linear charge distribution, λ = ax.
    Determine the potential V at:

(a) points along the y-axis.
    (b) points along the x-axis. (Assume x > l)

(express all answers in terms of a, x, l, ε0 and appropriate constants)

2. Relevant equations

dQ = λdx
    dV = dQ/(4*pi*ε0*r)

3. The attempt at a solution

For part a, V = 0 because
    dV = dQ/[4*pi*ε0*(x2 + y2)1/2] dx with limits of integration from -l to l.

For part b, I'm having a really hard time determining the limits of integration and what "r" in dV is (ie, is it x or is it r, a segment of the rod?). I tried a lot of things, none of which produced the correct answer. Right now, I have

Let k = 1/(4*pi*ε0)
    I'm treating "x" as a fixed distance from the rod, while calling r a segment or distance along the rod starting at x - l.

dV = [k(ar)]/(x - l + r) dr with integration limits from x - l to x + l (one end of the rod to the other)

With change of variables,
    u = x - l + r
    dx = du
    r = u - x + l
    integration limits become 2x - 2l to 2x

dV = [ka(u - x + l)] /u du
    = ka (1 + (l - x)/u) du

V = ka(u + (l - x)ln(u))
    V = ka(2x - (2x - 2l) + (l - x)ln(2x) - (l - x)ln(2x - 2l))
    V = ka(2l + (l - x)ln(2x / 2x - 2l))
    V = ka(2l + (l - x)ln(x / (x - l)))

I have a feeling that this is wrong, especially because I still don't completely understand what I'm supposed to integrate along, etc. Can someone explain how to go about solving this problem and point out what I am doing incorrectly?

Thank you!

Last edited: Mar 15, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2009 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Along x, aren't you integrating in r at any point x > l from the distance x - l the closest point to x + l the farthest distance?

4. Mar 14, 2009 #3
    umm, I was until the change of variables part--unless I don't need a change of variables and integrated the wrong expression?

5. Mar 15, 2009 #4

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

I guess what I was trying to suggest was that you have an r for some point X > l such that r(x) = X - x. You would be taking the integral of this I was thinking from x = l to x = -l

dV = k*a*x/r(x)*dx = k*a*x/(X - x)*dx

6. Mar 15, 2009 #5
    Oh! Okay, that makes sense (where X is treated like it's fixed but r(x) is still the distance from X to x, some point on the rod). Thank you!

Last edited: Mar 15, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook