How Do You Calculate Electric Potential of a Nonuniformly Charged Rod?

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the electric potential at points along the y-axis and x-axis due to a nonuniform linear charge distribution on a rod. The solution involves using the equations dQ = λdx and dV = dQ/(4*pi*ε0*r) and integrating with appropriate limits and a change of variable. The conversation also includes a suggestion to use the distance r from the rod to the point rather than a fixed distance when taking the integral.
misa
[SOLVED] Electric potential

Homework Statement

The charge on the rod of the figure (length 2l, center at the origin) has a nonuniform linear charge distribution, λ = ax.
Determine the potential V at:

(a) points along the y-axis.
(b) points along the x-axis. (Assume x > l)

(express all answers in terms of a, x, l, ε0 and appropriate constants)

Homework Equations

dQ = λdx
dV = dQ/(4*pi*ε0*r)

The Attempt at a Solution

For part a, V = 0 because
dV = dQ/[4*pi*ε0*(x2 + y2)1/2] dx with limits of integration from -l to l.

For part b, I'm having a really hard time determining the limits of integration and what "r" in dV is (ie, is it x or is it r, a segment of the rod?). I tried a lot of things, none of which produced the correct answer. Right now, I have

Let k = 1/(4*pi*ε0)
I'm treating "x" as a fixed distance from the rod, while calling r a segment or distance along the rod starting at x - l.

dV = [k(ar)]/(x - l + r) dr with integration limits from x - l to x + l (one end of the rod to the other)

With change of variables,
u = x - l + r
dx = du
r = u - x + l
integration limits become 2x - 2l to 2x

dV = [ka(u - x + l)] /u du
= ka (1 + (l - x)/u) du

V = ka(u + (l - x)ln(u))
V = ka(2x - (2x - 2l) + (l - x)ln(2x) - (l - x)ln(2x - 2l))
V = ka(2l + (l - x)ln(2x / 2x - 2l))
V = ka(2l + (l - x)ln(x / (x - l)))

I have a feeling that this is wrong, especially because I still don't completely understand what I'm supposed to integrate along, etc. Can someone explain how to go about solving this problem and point out what I am doing incorrectly?

Thank you!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Along x, aren't you integrating in r at any point x > l from the distance x - l the closest point to x + l the farthest distance?

umm, I was until the change of variables part--unless I don't need a change of variables and integrated the wrong expression?

misa said:
umm, I was until the change of variables part--unless I don't need a change of variables and integrated the wrong expression?

I guess what I was trying to suggest was that you have an r for some point X > l such that r(x) = X - x. You would be taking the integral of this I was thinking from x = l to x = -l

dV = k*a*x/r(x)*dx = k*a*x/(X - x)*dx

Oh! Okay, that makes sense (where X is treated like it's fixed but r(x) is still the distance from X to x, some point on the rod). Thank you!

Last edited:

1. What is electric potential?

Electric potential is the amount of electrical potential energy that a charged particle possesses at a specific point in an electric field. It is often measured in volts (V).

2. How is electric potential related to electric fields?

Electric potential is directly related to electric fields. The electric field at a point is the negative gradient of the electric potential at that point. In other words, the electric field points in the direction of decreasing electric potential.

3. How is electric potential different from electric potential energy?

Electric potential is a measure of the potential energy per unit charge at a specific point in an electric field. Electric potential energy, on the other hand, is the total potential energy that a charged particle possesses in an electric field. Electric potential is a scalar quantity, while electric potential energy is a vector quantity.

4. How is electric potential calculated for a rod?

The electric potential for a rod can be calculated using the formula V = kQ/r, where V is the electric potential, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge on the rod, and r is the distance from the rod to the point where the potential is being measured. This formula assumes that the rod is a point charge, and it can be used to calculate the potential at any point in space around the rod.

5. How does the electric potential change along a rod?

The electric potential along a rod varies depending on the distance from the rod. As the distance from the rod increases, the electric potential decreases. This is because the electric potential is inversely proportional to the distance from the source charge, according to the inverse square law. So, as you move away from the rod, the electric potential decreases in a similar way to how light intensity decreases as you move further away from a light source.