Finding the Zero Point of Electric Potential Between Two Point Charges

In summary, two point charges are placed on the x-axis, with a charge of +5q at x=1.50m and a charge of -q at x=-1.50m. The electric potential is zero at a point on the x-axis between the two charges. The electric potential also vanishes in one of the following regions: Region 1, 10.0m>x>1.50m; region 2, -1.50m>x>-10.0m. To find the appropriate region, the equation 0 = -1/-x + 5/(3-x) is used, with the solutions being x=0.5 for the first region and x=-10.5 for the
Peetah

Homework Statement

Two point charges are placed on the x axis. The charge + 5 q is at x =1.50m , and the charge −q
is at x= -1.50m .
There is a point on the x-axis between the two charges where the electric potential is zero. Where is this point?

The electric potential also vanishes in one of the following regions: Region 1, 10.0m>x>1.50m ;
region 2, -1.50m >x> - 10.0m. Identify the appropriate region.
Find the value here.

Homework Equations

V= kq/r

The Attempt at a Solution

For part a)
0 = -1/x + 5/(3-x)
Solve for x, i got 0.5, which is from -1.50

I don't understand how to get the second region.

Physics news on Phys.org
Peetah said:

Homework Statement

Two point charges are placed on the x axis. The charge + 5 q is at x =1.50m , and the charge −q
is at x= -1.50m .
There is a point on the x-axis between the two charges where the electric potential is zero. Where is this point?

The electric potential also vanishes in one of the following regions: Region 1, 10.0m>x>1.50m ;
region 2, -1.50m >x> - 10.0m. Identify the appropriate region.
Find the value here.

Homework Equations

V= kq/r

The Attempt at a Solution

For part a)
0 = -1/x + 5/(3-x)
Solve for x, i got 0.5, which is from -1.50

I don't understand how to get the second region.
Hello Peetah. Welcome to PF !

How did you solve the equation to get a distance of 0.5m from x = -1.50 m ?

What is the x coordinate of that point?

Thanks,

1/x = 5/(3-x)
3-x = 5x
x = 0.5,
Since x is from -1.50m, for the first part, it is -1.0m

Don't you really want

##\displaystyle 0=\frac{-1}{\left| x \right|} + \frac{5}{\left| 3-x \right|} \ \ ? ##

I figured it had something to do with absolute values. would the other situation be:

0 = -1/-x + 5/(3-x)?

Sorry, I have no idea how to add an equation to make it look nice

Peetah said:
I figured it had something to do with absolute values. would the other situation be:

0 = -1/-x + 5/(3-x)?

Sorry, I have no idea how to add an equation to make it look nice
Yes, that should work. Why does it work?

Actually, if you want to have x be the location on the x-axis at which you are evaluating the electric potential (That would be the usual thing to do.) then the electric potential is given by the following.

## \displaystyle V(x)=\frac{-1}{\left| x-(-1.5) \right|} + \frac{5}{\left| x-1.5\right|} \ \ ##
##\displaystyle =\frac{-1}{\left| x+1.5 \right|} + \frac{5}{\left| x-1.5 \right|} \ \ ##​

Then consider the 3 cases individually:
x > 1.5

-1.5 < x < 1.5

x < -1.5​

You will find some x that makes V(x) = 0 for two of these cases.

Awesome, thanks a lot!

1. What is Electric Potential Zero Point?

Electric Potential Zero Point, also known as electric potential at infinity, is the reference point for measuring electric potential. It is the point at which the electric potential is considered to be zero, and all other points are measured relative to this point.

2. How is Electric Potential Zero Point different from Ground Potential?

Electric Potential Zero Point is a theoretical point used as a reference for measuring electric potential, while Ground Potential is a physical point where the potential is zero due to the presence of an infinite conducting surface. In practical applications, Ground Potential is often used as a substitute for Electric Potential Zero Point.

3. What is the significance of Electric Potential Zero Point in electrical circuits?

In electrical circuits, Electric Potential Zero Point is used as the reference point for measuring voltage or potential difference. It helps to determine the direction of current flow and the amount of work required to move a charge from one point to another in the circuit.

4. Can Electric Potential Zero Point be changed?

Electric Potential Zero Point is a theoretical concept and cannot be changed. However, its value can be shifted or adjusted in practical applications by choosing a different reference point for measuring electric potential.

5. How is Electric Potential Zero Point related to Electric Potential Energy?

Electric Potential Zero Point and Electric Potential Energy are closely related. Electric Potential Energy is the energy associated with an object's position relative to Electric Potential Zero Point. The potential energy of an object at Electric Potential Zero Point is considered to be zero, and any changes in potential energy are measured relative to this point.