1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric potential

1. May 14, 2006 #1
    Sorry to be a pain again, but I'm struggling with my whole electromagnetic course, that I'm being examined on in a few days!

Next question I think may just be a problem with arithmetic and algebra, but we'll probably see that its more than that!

Question says:

A distribution of three charges is given below. Show that the electric potential at point P on the x-axis, where x>a is given by:
    [tex]V(x) = \frac{x^2 + a^2}{x(x^2 - a^2)}[/tex]​

[​IMG]

Now I tried this. My plan was to work out the electric potential from each point and then add them up (linear superposition right?). Having been given that [tex]V(r) = \frac{q}{4\pi \epsilon_{0}r}[/tex] earlier I proceeded to use this.

Am I correct in thinking that the distance from q1 (the left hand charge) is 2a+x, the distance from q2 (center) is a+x and from q3 is just x?

Then when I added all these together I ended up still having the q/4pi etc in the fraction as well as another fraction that I got as [tex]\frac{2a-2x}{x(2a+x)}[/tex] instead of the required fraction.

Does anybody see where I went wrong with this?

Thanks again guys

2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2006 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

No. x is just the x-coordinate of point P, measured from the origin. The distance between P and q1, for example, will be a + x, not 2a + x; the distance between P and q2 is just x; etc. (At least that's how I interpret the problem statement.)

4. May 14, 2006 #3
    Of course! So for q3 it will be x-a?

Does the rest of the way I was attempting the question look all right though?

5. May 14, 2006 #4

Doc Al

Right.
    Yes, adding the three potential terms is the way to go.

6. May 14, 2006 #5
    Now I end up with a constant term of [tex]\frac{q}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}[/tex] outside of a bracket and [tex]\frac{2a^2}{x(x^2 - a^2)}[/tex] within a bracket. I need to get rid of the outside term (q/4pi etc) and I must have gone wrong with my arithmetic.

Any ideas?

7. May 14, 2006 #6
    Are you sure there is no [itex]\frac{q}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}[/itex] in the question. Then the question is wrong. Also check your arithmetic.

8. May 14, 2006 #7
    Yep, very sure.

I've been through a couple of times now, and I end up with the [tex]2a^2[/tex] on the top everytime.

I'm rapidly losing faith in electromagnetism. My textbook and notes are no help either. :(

9. May 14, 2006 #8

Doc Al

I don't see anything wrong with your solution. (Something's obviously wrong with the book's answer if it leaves out the [itex]\frac{q}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}[/itex] term!)

10. May 14, 2006 #9
    Have I got my arithmetic wrong?

I keep trying, but I still end up with [tex]\frac{2a^2}{x(x^2 - a^2)}[/tex]

11. May 14, 2006 #10

Doc Al

As I said before, your answer is perfectly correct. The book is wrong. (Don't waste any more time stewing over this one. Move on to other problems. :smile: )

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?