1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric potential

1. Jan 23, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two pont charges of magnitude 6.17 nC and -4.32 nC are separated by 29.1 cm. The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s^2. the Coulomb constant is 8.98755 x 10 ^9 N m^2/C^2. What is the electric potential at a point midway between the charges? Answer in units of V.

2. Relevant equations

well I know Columb's law obviously comes into effet. If its just finding the electric force of repulsion between the 2 object it would be ez. But the potential? IS the acceleration of gravity even relevant in this problem?

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that (electric potential ) V = kq/ r and Columb's equation is F = Kq1q2/r^2. How can I manipulate both of these equations?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2007 #2
    I dont know why they threw in gravity, just add up the voltages. Coulombs law does not need to be manipulated

4. Jan 23, 2007 #3
    So do I just use V = Kq/r and solve for 6.17 and -4.32 making sure that I keep the signs? and then add these up? The question asked for the midway between charges how does this come into effect? is my r value 1/2 of 29.1 cm?

Let me know

5. Jan 23, 2007 #4
    Yes, but positive/negative orientation of distance doeesnt matter. The distance is positive for both voltages. Needless to say, youll wind up with a positive answer

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?