Electric Potential: Find V between 6.17 nC & -4.32 nC Charges

In summary, the problem involves two point charges separated by a distance of 29.1 cm, with magnitudes of 6.17 nC and -4.32 nC. The question asks for the electric potential at a point midway between the charges, and the relevant equations are Coulomb's law for electric force and the equation V = kq/r for electric potential. The acceleration of gravity is not relevant in this problem. To find the electric potential, the voltages of the two charges should be added together, with the distance being half of 29.1 cm. The final answer will be positive regardless of the positive or negative orientation of the distance.
shaka23h

Homework Statement

Two pont charges of magnitude 6.17 nC and -4.32 nC are separated by 29.1 cm. The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s^2. the Coulomb constant is 8.98755 x 10 ^9 N m^2/C^2. What is the electric potential at a point midway between the charges? Answer in units of V.

Homework Equations

well I know Columb's law obviously comes into effet. If its just finding the electric force of repulsion between the 2 object it would be ez. But the potential? IS the acceleration of gravity even relevant in this problem?

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that (electric potential ) V = kq/ r and Columb's equation is F = Kq1q2/r^2. How can I manipulate both of these equations?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know why they threw in gravity, just add up the voltages. Coulombs law does not need to be manipulated

So do I just use V = Kq/r and solve for 6.17 and -4.32 making sure that I keep the signs? and then add these up? The question asked for the midway between charges how does this come into effect? is my r value 1/2 of 29.1 cm?

Let me know

Yes, but positive/negative orientation of distance doeesnt matter. The distance is positive for both voltages. Needless to say, youll wind up with a positive answer

1. What is electric potential?

Electric potential is the amount of work required to move a unit of positive charge from one point to another against an electric field.

2. How do you calculate electric potential?

To calculate electric potential, you need to know the magnitude and direction of the electric field, as well as the distance between the two points. The formula for electric potential is V = kQ/r, where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge, and r is the distance.

3. What is the unit of electric potential?

The unit of electric potential is volts (V).

4. How do you find V between two charges?

To find the electric potential between two charges, you need to use the formula V = k(Q1/r1 + Q2/r2), where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q1 and Q2 are the charges, and r1 and r2 are the distances between the charges and the point where you want to find the potential.

5. Can electric potential be negative?

Yes, electric potential can be negative. This indicates that the electric field is attractive, meaning that a positive charge would move towards the negative charge.