Electric Potential Homework: Find ∆V from E = 2xî - 3y²j N/C

In summary: So this means that: \Delta V = V(\mathbf{r_B}) - V(\mathbf{r_A}) = - \int_{\mathbf{r_A}}^{\mathbf{r_B}}{\mathbf{E} \cdot d\mathbf{l}} = - \int_{\mathbf{r_A}}^{\mathbf{r_B}}{2x dx - 3y^2 dy} Hmm...I'll leave it to the reader to fill in the rest. :smile:In summary, the problem involves finding the change in potential from the position RA = î - 2j M to RB = 2î + j +3k m in an
thepassenger48

Homework Statement

An electric field is given by E = 2xî - 3y²j N/C. Find the change in potential from the position RA = î - 2j M to RB = 2î + j +3k m.

Homework Equations

∆V = VA - VB = - ∫ E • ds (definite integral from A to B)
Or in a uniform field, simply:
∆V = VA - VB = ±Ed

The Attempt at a Solution

I know from the solutions manual that the answer is +6 Volts.

I began by finding ∆R = RB - RA = i + 3j + 3k m.
That can easily be converted into ∆R = √19 right?

My problem comes in when I have to deal with E = 2xî - 3y²j N/C... what do I do with the square on the y?

Thank you once again.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you had much experience with line integrals? Oh well...let me address specific aspects of your solution attempt first:

thepassenger48 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I know from the solutions manual that the answer is +6 Volts.

I began by finding ∆R = RB - RA = i + 3j + 3k m.
That can easily be converted into ∆R = √19 right?

Not exactly. Be careful! [itex] \mathbf{r_A} [/itex] and [itex] \mathbf{r_B} [/itex] are vectors! So you were correct in stating that:

[tex] \mathbf{\Delta r } = \mathbf{r_B - r_A} = \mathbf{\hat{i}} + 3\mathbf{\hat{j}} + 3\mathbf{\hat{k}} [/tex].

But it doesn't make sense to say that [itex] \mathbf{\Delta r } = \sqrt{19} [/itex], because you're equating a vector to a scalar! Really, what you calculated was the magnitude of [itex] \mathbf{\Delta r } [/itex]:

[tex] |\mathbf{\Delta r}| = \sqrt{19} [/tex]

Unfortunately, I don't think that this is going to be of much use to you in solving the problem! I wouldn't start with calculating the difference between the two vectors, because to calculate the potential difference, you need to calculate the line integral of the electric field over some path between [itex] \mathbf{r_A} [/itex] and [itex] \mathbf{r_B} [/itex]. You correctly wrote:

[tex] \Delta V = V(\mathbf{r_B}) - V(\mathbf{r_A}) = - \int_{\mathbf{r_A}}^{\mathbf{r_B}}{\mathbf{E} \cdot d\mathbf{l}} [/tex]

But then...

thepassenger48 said:
My problem comes in when I have to deal with E = 2xî - 3y²j N/C... what do I do with the square on the y?

...this indicates you're stuck. But if you haven't calculated too many line integrals or taken vector calculus, don't despair. There is a half-assed, "physics" way to interpret it :rofl:

Think of [itex] d\mathbf{l} [/itex] as an infinitesimal vector that points "along" the direction of the path at any point on the path. Then:

[tex] d\mathbf{l} = dx\mathbf{\hat{i}} + dy\mathbf{\hat{j}} + dz\mathbf{\hat{k}} [/tex]

Therefore, you can calculate:

[tex] \mathbf{E} \cdot d\mathbf{l} = (2x\mathbf{\hat{i}} - 3y^2 \mathbf{\hat{j}}) \cdot (dx\mathbf{\hat{i}} + dy\mathbf{\hat{j}} + dz\mathbf{\hat{k}} ) = ? [/tex]

your integral will turn into two integrals, one wrt x and the other wrt y, and you're off to the races. :smile:

Uh, looking at the question again, I think I made the further assumption that since the E-field is a conservative vector field, then the answer is path independent, so you can simply use your starting and ending x & y points as limits of integration for each integral (i.e., take the straight line path).

1. What is the formula for finding electric potential?

The formula for finding electric potential is ∆V = -∫ab E * dℓ, where E is the electric field and dℓ is the differential length along the path between points a and b.

2. How is electric potential related to electric field?

Electric potential is related to electric field through the equation ∆V = -∫ab E * dℓ. This means that electric potential is the negative integral of electric field over a certain distance.

3. What do the variables in the given equation represent?

The variables in the equation E = 2xî - 3y²j N/C represent the components of the electric field in the x and y directions. The unit of measurement, N/C, represents newtons per coulomb.

4. How do I find the electric potential from a given electric field?

To find the electric potential from a given electric field, you can use the formula ∆V = -∫ab E * dℓ. This involves taking the negative integral of the electric field over a certain distance.

5. Can electric potential be negative?

Yes, electric potential can be negative. This means that the electric field is pointing in the opposite direction of the path between points a and b, and the work done by the field is negative. It is also possible for electric potential to be zero if there is no electric field present.