Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric potential

1. Mar 23, 2007 #1
    Electric potential goes like the inverse of distance squared and the product of the two charges. But I can't see how this can produce V = IR.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2007 #2

vanesch

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The relationship is very remote ! The first you cite is the potential of a *point charge in space*. The second (ohm's law) is the relationship between the motion and the potential distribution of a whole collection of charges within a certain material (which will have its influence on the dynamics).
    Ohm's law is a material property (which doesn't always hold, btw), a bit like Hooke's law for the elastic behaviour of materials, while the first law you cited is more like, say, the law of Newtonian gravitation. You cannot derive Hooke's law from Newton's law of gravitation either.

4. Mar 23, 2007 #3
    The last time I saw, the potential went like one over distance (not squared!) and depended only on the source charge. What you say is true for the force between two point charges, though.

5. Mar 23, 2007 #4
    Ooops. I typed too fast. 1/distance squared for electric force. 1/distance for potential.

6. Mar 23, 2007 #5

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It might be good to review the microscopic Ohm's Law:
    http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/ohmmic.html
    although this presentation doesn't address the relevant issues in the order needed to address the OP.

As a first step, recall that when the electric field is uniform, the electric potential varies linearly with distance.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?