Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Electric potential

1. Apr 25, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

There is an infinite conducting charged metallic wire. What will the potential at a distance r from the wire be?

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that [tex]E=\frac{\lambda}{2\pi \epsilon r}[/tex] and [tex] E=\frac{-dv}{dr}[/tex].

Integrating the expression for the electric field wrt r, [tex]V(r)=-\frac{\lambda}{2\pi \epsilon} logr[/tex]

This, however, isnt the answer. Why?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2007 #2

Mentz114

Gold Member

You should be integrating the field from an element of the wire from -inf to +inf.

4. Apr 25, 2007 #3
    Ouch. That would make it undefined at that point, right?

5. Apr 25, 2007 #4

Mentz114

Gold Member

Assume you have linear charge density r, so the charge of a line element is r.dl. The electric field at point r is k.r.dl/(r^2+l^2).

6. Apr 25, 2007 #5
    I can figure out the expression for the electric field, but its the potential I had the question about. Wont it be undefined?

7. Apr 25, 2007 #6

Mentz114

Gold Member

Rats, I misread the question. Integrating the potential of a line element blows up because it's a scalar. It really does look as if there's nothing you can differentiate to give the 1/r dependence.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook