1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric potential

1. Mar 5, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

how much energy is wasted when 35 C of charge flow through a 120 V toaster in 5.0 S?
    how much power?

2. Relevant equations
    work=qv i think...

power= work /time

3. The attempt at a solution

i thought to find energy wasted i would find the work used. (?????yes?)

so i guess that would be 35(120) whihc is 4200 J

so then do i power = 4200/5=840

is this correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2008 #2
    well P = IV

and they give you the time...so you know the units of Power = (Joules/second), so given the time you can find the joules wasted...

both problems solved with one equation!

:D

4. Mar 5, 2008 #3
    wait i didnt really understand what u just said.
    did i do this right or is it wrong?

5. Mar 5, 2008 #4
    no recheck your work and look at the formula I gave you and the units of power, energy is in JOULES, and power is in Watts or Joules/second...it should be straightforward from there

6. Mar 5, 2008 #5
    well a watt = J/sec
    so i got energy in joules correct right??

then those Joules per 5 sec gives u 840 J/ a sec

7. Mar 6, 2008 #6
    ok another formula that will help is to know that I (current) is equal to (change in Q- the charge)/ (change in time - seconds), both of these informations are given in the problem...

once you find I...you can solve for P = IV, using the information given in the problem...

8. Mar 6, 2008 #7
    oh and I forget to mention that the change in potential difference (V) is equal to the potential-energy change per unit charge in moving across the toaster...so U = Vq...you know volts and know q so you can find the energy lost.

9. Mar 6, 2008 #8
    so isnt i=7
    and then 7(120)=840.......

10. Mar 6, 2008 #9
    ddint i do that in the proble, above??????

11. Mar 6, 2008 #10
    ohh..lol my bad, yes your work is correct, sorry for the explanation again above...wasn't thinking so simply...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?