1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric potential

1. May 17, 2008 #1
    I've read some litterature about the electric potential (V, volts), but I feel like I still miss an actual explanation of what this really is. I know it's "potential energy per unit charge", but I am searching for a more down-to-earth explanation.

Is it an "elementary" phenomenon, like electric fields?

Can I have a negative electric field in a positive potential field?

2. jcsd
  3. May 17, 2008 #2
    Voltage is basically the ability to move an electrical charge through resistance.

Wiki has a good explanation for it.

Here's an analogy to it:

4. May 17, 2008 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Think of it as an alternate way of viewing the same thing. Potential takes an "energy" view, while the electric field takes a "force" view. But given the potential you can calculate the field. See: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/Hbase/electric/efromv.html#c1"

Sure. The electric field is related to the slope of the potential field. Think of the potential field like a hill--the slope at any point represents the electric field strength at that point.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook