Electric Potential: Find at Infinity w/ Two Point Charges

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the electric potential at infinity for a problem involving two point charges. It is determined that the potential at infinity is zero, as there is no change in potential energy when moving from infinity to infinity. The conversation also touches on the work done by electrical forces and clarifies that it is equal to the negative potential energy of the particle at the origin.
wave41
Hello everyone, I need alittle help with an assignment...I am given two charges one along the y-axis and one along the x, and I am asked to find the electric potential at infinite distance...I found the electric potential at the origin, but I am unsure about the eletric potential at infinity.Since when r final= infinity then it is o V at f...So the electric potential is equal to 1/4piE (Q/r)...what I am not sure about is as how to treat this with two point like charges...To find the electric potential at infinity...
Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
The potential at infinity is just zero. Remember the definition of potential, as the integral of the electric field from infinity to the point in space you wish to calculate the potential. If that point happens to be infinity, you're moving from infinity to infinity, in other words, your not moving anywhere, and the potential is just zero, relative to infinity.

Thank you :smile:

I have another question about this problem...there is another part asking for the work done by electrical forces if the proton at the origin is moved from the origin to infinity?? Is it just the negative potential energy of the proton at the origin?
Thank you

Yes, because the work-energy theorem for conservative forces (such as the electric field force) is

[tex] W_C = -\Delta ({\rm PE}).[/tex]

So to find the work of all conservative forces acting on a particle as it moves from one point to another, find the change in potential energy between those two points.

Don't forget the negative sign (which appears because conservative forces try to minimize potential energy). Note also that one of the potential energy values (at infinity) is 0.

sorry I have another dumb question...Since the particle's PE is zero at infinity, so there is really no change and it is just the negative of the result I found at the origin where the particles is no?

Yes, this is correct.

1. What is electric potential?

Electric potential is a measure of the amount of work that must be done to move a unit charge from one point to another in an electric field.

2. How is electric potential calculated?

The electric potential at a point is calculated by dividing the electric potential energy at that point by the charge at that point.

3. What is the unit of electric potential?

The unit of electric potential is the volt (V), which is equal to one joule per coulomb.

4. Can electric potential be negative?

Yes, electric potential can be negative. This indicates that the direction of the electric field is opposite to the direction of the motion of the charge.

5. How is electric potential affected by distance and charge?

The electric potential is directly proportional to the distance between two point charges and inversely proportional to the magnitude of the charges. As the distance between two charges increases, the electric potential decreases, and as the magnitude of the charges increases, the electric potential increases.