1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric potential

1. Sep 30, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two points (A and B) are shown in a constant electric field of E = 850 N/C. The distance between A and B is L = 2 m. The line joining the two points makes an angle of 40 degrees with the electric field. Determine the electric potential difference (in Volts) between points A and B -- that is VA - VB.

2. Relevant equations

E_s cos(theta)=-Ed

3. The attempt at a solution

would I just do E(cos theta) or -Ed? or are neither right?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2009 #2

Delphi51

Homework Helper

The way I like to think of it is that the change in potential V is the work that must be done per unit charge to move a charge from A to B. The work is the force that must be exerted times the distance for which it is exerted. So we have
    V = W/q and W = Fd or V = Fd/q
    The electric field causes a force on the charge we are moving, F = qE.
    However this force is not in the exact direction we are pushing the charge. So the force we need to overcome is actually qE*cos(A) where A is the angle between the E field and the direction we are going. That leaves us with a potential difference of
    V = Fd/q = qE*cos(A)*d/q.

4. Sep 30, 2009 #3
    except that q is not given in the problem

5. Sep 30, 2009 #4

Delphi51

Homework Helper

The q on the top cancels with the q on the bottom.

6. Sep 30, 2009 #5
    yeah I thought that might be it so I tried it that way but still got the wrong answer

7. Oct 1, 2009 #6

Delphi51

Homework Helper

I'm not supposed to show you the calculation for fear of spoiling the experience for you. But if you show your calc, we can check it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook