Electric Potential Homework: Answers to 1 & 2

In summary, a positive charge of magnitude 2 microC is at the origin. How much work must be done by an outside agent to bring a 3 microC charge from infinity to r=4, assuming that the 2 microC charge is held fixed at the origin? How much work must be done by an outside agent to bring the 2 microC charge from infinity origin if the 3 microC charge is first placed at r=4m and is then held fixed?
nns91

Homework Statement

1. A positive charge of magnitude 2 microC is at the origin.
(b)How much work must be done by an outside agent to bring a 3 microC charge from infinity to r=4, assuming that the 2 microC charge is held fixed at the origin ?
(c) How much work must be done by an outside agent to bring the 2 microC charge from infinity origin if the 3 microC charge is first placed at r=4m and is then held fixed ?

2. Protons from a Van de Graaff accelerator are released from rest at a potential of 5 MV and travel through a vacuum to a region at zero potential.
(a). Finad the final speed of the 5-MeV protons.
(b). Find the accelerating electric field if the same potential change occurred uniformly over a distance of 2m

Homework Equations

V=kq/r
E= -dV/dx
U=qV

The Attempt at a Solution

1. So I found that the electric potential at 4m is 4495 V and at infinity V=0.

To find the work done, I have to integrate -Udx but I don't know what to put for the lower limit. Do I put infinity ?

Or How do I do part b and c ?

2. So I found the speed in part a using energy equation and got 2.64 x 10^7 m/s

How do I then do part b ? I know that E= -dV/dx but then I cannot solve this because I don't know dV.

Physics news on Phys.org
(It's been a long time since I last looked at this kind of question, so this post may be from moderately to outrageously wrong)First, the electric potential at point r is: [tex]V=\frac{k|Q|}{r^2} V[/tex]

Assuming we're working on vaccum, [tex]k\approx9\cdot10^9 N\cdot m^2/C^2[/tex] and [tex]V\approx1125 V[/tex].

Potential energy is [tex]Ep=q\cdot V J[/tex], so [tex]Ep\approx3.375\cdot10^{-3} J[/tex]. That's 1.b.

1.c follows the same calculations, only exchanging both charges. The potential energy is the same.

2.a and 2.b: Have no friggin' clue ^^'.

Last edited:
nns91 said:
1. So I found that the electric potential at 4m is 4495 V and at infinity V=0.

To find the work done, I have to integrate -Udx but I don't know what to put for the lower limit. Do I put infinity ?

The potential is work already, you do not need to integrate. Assuming zero potential at infinity, the potential at a point is the work done by the electric field on a unit positive charge when the charge moves from infinity to that point. So to get work from potential difference, you simply multiply it with the charge.
If you calculate work by integrating the electric field intensity, the lower limit is the place where you know the potential. It is infinity here.
For question b, remember that r in the formula for the potential is the distance from the fixed charge. The two charges are 4 m apart again, so r=4 m.

nns91 said:
2. So I found the speed in part a using energy equation and got 2.64 x 10^7 m/s

How do I then do part b ? I know that E= -dV/dx but then I cannot solve this because I don't know dV.

If the electric field is uniform over a distance D, dV/dx = change of potential / D.

ehild

1. What is electric potential?

Electric potential is the amount of work needed to move a unit of positive charge from a reference point to a specific point in an electric field. It is measured in volts (V) and is a scalar quantity.

2. How is electric potential different from electric field?

Electric field is a vector quantity that describes the force experienced by a charged particle in an electric field. Electric potential, on the other hand, is a scalar quantity that describes the potential energy per unit charge at a specific point in the electric field.

3. How is electric potential calculated?

The electric potential at a point is calculated by dividing the work done in moving a unit of positive charge from a reference point to the specific point by the amount of charge moved. Mathematically, it is expressed as V = W/q, where V is the electric potential, W is the work done, and q is the amount of charge moved.

4. Can electric potential be negative?

Yes, electric potential can be negative. This indicates that the work done in moving a unit of positive charge from a reference point to the specific point is negative, meaning that energy is required to move the charge against the electric field. This can happen, for example, when the reference point is at a higher potential than the specific point.

5. How is electric potential related to electric potential energy?

Electric potential and electric potential energy are closely related. Electric potential energy is the potential energy that a charged particle possesses due to its position in an electric field. It is directly proportional to the electric potential, with the formula PE = qV, where PE is the electric potential energy, q is the charge, and V is the electric potential.