1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Potential

1. Feb 7, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A 2mm diameter plastic bead is charged to -1nC (*note - the bead is not hollow)

a) An alpha particle is fired at the bead from far away with a speed of 1x106 m/s and it collides head-on. What is the impact speed?

b) An electron is fired at the bead from far away. It "reflects", with a turning point .1mm from the surface of the bead. What was the electrons initial speed?

2. Relevant equations

V=PEe/q V=kq/r W=k q1 q2 (1/ri-1/rf) F=ma E=F/q E=k[q]/r2

I don't know which of these equations are even needed, but I thought I would include as many relevant ones I could think of.

3. The attempt at a solution

I don't even know where to start with this. The only thing I can think of would be to maybe do something with conservation of energy? but I am given no distances for anything so I'm not sure how to make that or any of the above equations work.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted