1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Electric Potential

1. Jun 13, 2010 #1
    Hi

Ok so i came across this question which asks you to find the force on electrons in a wire which is moving in a magnetic field, hence the opposite to the direction of the current. I worked out using The right hand rule that the current would be going from point P to Q, which was write. However the next part asked to find if the potentials of p or q was greater, i said that p was bigger because the definition of potential is the work done per unit charge to bring a small test charge from infinity to that point, hence you would need less work to bring a charge to Q(the negative terminal) than to p (the positive terminal). But the answer says it that the potential of p is less than the potential of q, but gives no explanation. Why is it that the potential of p is less than the potential of Q?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 13, 2010 #2
    Can no one answer this question?

4. Jun 14, 2010 #3

rcgldr

Homework Helper

From what I understand, potential should be the negative of the work done per unit charge going from P to Q, you don't need an external reference point. I don't understand why the voltage (electric potential) would be less at P than Q in this example. The electrical potential energy of the electrons would be less at P than Q, because it's multiplied by the negative charge of the electrons. This is assuming that there is resistance in the wire and that the voltage at P is higher than the voltage at Q.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
  5. Jun 17, 2010 #4
    hello !
    can you be a bit more specific about the details eg how is the wire PQ aligned ? What is the direction of the magnetic field?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook