1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Potentials graphs

1. Sep 22, 2004 #1
    The electric potential along the x-axis (in kv) is plotted versus the value of x, (in meters). Evaluate the x-component of the electrical force (in Newtons)on a charge of 5.10 micro-C located on the x-axis at x=2.8 m.

http://www.geocities.com/vsage3/p.bmp

I tried finding the value of kV at x = 2.8 so I would have this:

dV/dx = E = F/q

q = 5.1e-06C

Hint: Use graphical techniques to evaluate the electric field, i.e., the x component of the electric field is the negative of the change of the potential with respect to x. Careful with units of potential (given in kV) and of charge (micro-C). In order to check the sign, remember in which direction the positive charge moves when located at the given position.

(this was given with the problem)

Any ideas? I have to get the value within 3% of what the computer says so that might be why I'm having such a hard time.

Edit: here is the value I got the time I tried it

V = Electric field * distance

V = Force / charge * distance

-2500V = F / 5.1e-06 * 2.8

F = -0.00455N but it's wrong according to the computer.

Edit thanks but I got the answer wrong too many times and I can't correct it. I heeded what you said but apparently I don't have a good enough grasp on the subject to apply it :(

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2004 #2

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

E= -dV/dx, that is, minus the slope of the V-vs-x graph.

V=Ed only when E is uniform.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?