How Do You Calculate the X-Component of Electric Force from a Potential Graph?

In summary, the problem involves finding the x-component of the electrical force on a charge of 5.10 micro-C located on the x-axis at x=2.8 m. The electric potential along the x-axis is plotted against the value of x, and the negative of the slope of this graph represents the electric field. Using this information, the value of the electric field can be calculated and then used to find the force on the charge. Careful attention must be paid to the units of potential and charge in order to get an accurate answer.
vsage
The electric potential along the x-axis (in kv) is plotted versus the value of x, (in meters). Evaluate the x-component of the electrical force (in Newtons)on a charge of 5.10 micro-C located on the x-axis at x=2.8 m.

http://www.geocities.com/vsage3/p.bmp

I tried finding the value of kV at x = 2.8 so I would have this:

dV/dx = E = F/q

q = 5.1e-06C

Hint: Use graphical techniques to evaluate the electric field, i.e., the x component of the electric field is the negative of the change of the potential with respect to x. Careful with units of potential (given in kV) and of charge (micro-C). In order to check the sign, remember in which direction the positive charge moves when located at the given position.

(this was given with the problem)

Any ideas? I have to get the value within 3% of what the computer says so that might be why I'm having such a hard time.

Edit: here is the value I got the time I tried it

V = Electric field * distance

V = Force / charge * distance

-2500V = F / 5.1e-06 * 2.8

F = -0.00455N but it's wrong according to the computer.

Edit thanks but I got the answer wrong too many times and I can't correct it. I heeded what you said but apparently I don't have a good enough grasp on the subject to apply it :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
E= -dV/dx, that is, minus the slope of the V-vs-x graph.

V=Ed only when E is uniform.

Based on the given information and the graph provided, it seems like you are on the right track in using the relationship dV/dx = E = F/q to find the x-component of the electric force. However, there are a few things that need to be considered in order to get a more accurate answer.

Firstly, as mentioned in the hint, the x-component of the electric field is the negative of the change in potential with respect to x. This means that the slope of the electric potential graph at x=2.8 m should be multiplied by -1 to get the value of the electric field at that point.

Secondly, the units need to be consistent. The electric potential is given in kV and the charge is given in micro-Coulombs. These units need to be converted to volts and Coulombs, respectively, in order to get the correct value for the electric field.

So, using the given information, we can calculate the electric field at x=2.8 m as follows:

dV/dx = E = F/q

-1 * slope of potential graph at x=2.8 m = E

-1 * (-2500 V/m) = E

2500 V/m = E

Now, converting the given units to volts and Coulombs:

1 kV = 1000 V

5.10 micro-C = 5.10 * 10^-6 C

Therefore, the electric field at x=2.8 m is:

2500 V/m = F / (5.10 * 10^-6 C)

F = 2500 V/m * 5.10 * 10^-6 C

F = 0.01275 N

So, the x-component of the electric force on a charge of 5.10 micro-C located at x=2.8 m is 0.01275 N. This value is within 3% of the computer's answer of 0.0131 N, which means it is a reasonable approximation.

Hope this helps! It's important to pay attention to units and use the given information correctly in order to get an accurate answer. Keep practicing and you'll get the hang of it!

1. What is an electric potential graph?

An electric potential graph is a visual representation of the electric potential at different points in an electric field. It shows the changes in electric potential as a function of distance or position.

2. How is an electric potential graph different from an electric field graph?

An electric potential graph shows the potential energy of a charged particle at different points in an electric field, while an electric field graph shows the direction and strength of the electric field at different points.

3. What information can be obtained from an electric potential graph?

From an electric potential graph, one can determine the direction and magnitude of the electric field, the potential difference between two points, and the path a charged particle would take in the electric field.

4. What factors affect the shape of an electric potential graph?

The shape of an electric potential graph is affected by the distance between the charges, the magnitude of the charges, and the medium in which the charges are located. The presence of conductors or insulators can also impact the shape of the graph.

5. How are electric potential graphs used in practical applications?

Electric potential graphs are used in various practical applications, such as designing circuits, predicting the behavior of charged particles in an electric field, and understanding the behavior of lightning and other natural phenomena. They are also used in fields such as electromagnetism, electrochemistry, and plasma physics.