Can Two Batteries Power a Lunar Roving Vehicle Without Exceeding 9 Volts?

In summary, in order to meet the criteria of a maximum of 9 volts, the two batteries powering the front wheels must be connected separately, rather than in series.
Darth Frodo
I must design a lunar roving vehicle. One of the criteria is that the electric power cannot exceed 9 volts. My teacher said that is I have 2 batteries powering the front wheels separately then the power remains at 9 volts and not at 18 volts. Is this true?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Darth Frodo said:
I must design a lunar roving vehicle. One of the criteria is that the electric power cannot exceed 9 volts. My teacher said that is I have 2 batteries powering the front wheels separately then the power remains at 9 volts and not at 18 volts. Is this true?

Thanks!

Unless the batteries are connected in series, it is true.

Great thanks!

1. How does an electric vehicle power its engine?

Electric vehicles use a large battery pack to store electricity. The battery then powers an electric motor, which turns the wheels of the vehicle.

2. What is the range of an electric vehicle?

The range of an electric vehicle varies depending on the make and model, but on average, most electric vehicles can travel between 100-300 miles on a single charge.

3. How long does it take to charge an electric vehicle?

The charging time for an electric vehicle also varies, but most can be fully charged in 4-8 hours with a Level 2 charger. Some newer models also have the ability to fast charge, which can provide up to 80% charge in 30 minutes.

4. How does an electric vehicle compare to a traditional gasoline-powered vehicle in terms of cost?

Electric vehicles may have a higher initial cost due to the expensive battery technology, but they often have lower operating costs. This is because electricity is typically cheaper than gasoline, and electric vehicles have fewer moving parts, requiring less maintenance.

5. Can an electric vehicle be charged at home?

Yes, most electric vehicles can be charged at home with a Level 2 charger. However, some homes may require an upgrade to their electrical system to support the charger. Alternatively, public charging stations are becoming increasingly available for those who do not have access to home charging.