Solve Electric Power Question: Calculate Voltage at Lamp 3 - Correct Answer 9.4V

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the voltage at lamp 3 in a parallel circuit with three branches. The resistance of the connecting lead between lamp 2 and the battery is found to be 1.1 ohms. The total resistance of the circuit is calculated to be 6.55 ohms, with a total current of 1.83A. The current through lamp 3 is found to be .76 amps, with a voltage drop of .83 volts across the last resistor, leaving a voltage of 9.14 volts across lamp 3. However, the given answer is 9.4 volts, which may be due to a slight difference in the resistance of the wires used in calculations.
catalyst55
http://members.optusnet.com.au/boris_m/qqq.jpg

Q) Calculate the voltage at lamp 3.

i've apparently oversimplified the question with my answer of 10v.

the real answer is 9.4v.

if anyone could that could help, that'd be great.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
OK

What you have is a parallel circuit with three branches.
Each branch has resistance (in series) from the lamp and the wires.
The resistance of the lamp is found by examining the power equation (at 12 volts, the lamps produce 12 watts, so what must be their resistance?).
Each branch gets the full 12 volts, but the wires in the lower branch have dropped the voltage by exactly one; what's the total resistance of those two wires there.

OK so far?

edit:
OOPS, check that!

There are three branches, but, it's a series in parallel in series in parallel:

lamp 3 is in series with two wires
this series is parallel with lamp 2.

This parallel is in series with two more wires

this series is parallel with lamp 1 and two wires.

Last edited:
Hi
The preceding question asks to find the total resistance of the connecting lead between lamp 2 and the battery.

This is easily done by modelling the resistive lead as a resistor and drawing the appropriate circuit diagram.

This gives:

R/(R+12) = 1/12, hence R = 1.1ohm

So the resistance of the leads connecting lamp 2 is 1.1ohms.

Then we're asked to find the voltage at lamp 3.

If we, again, draw the circuit diagram, and model the resistive leads as resistors, we gets this circuit, where the resistance of the resistors is 1.1ohm, and 12ohm for the lamps (right = lamp 3; left = lamp1)

http://members.optusnet.com.au/boris_m/Drawing1.jpg

In order to find the voltage across lamp3, we must know the current.

So first we'll find the total resistance (this is where my answers start to deviate from the book's):

R(T) = [ 2(1.1+12)^-1 ] ^-1 = 6.55ohm

Which gives a total current of 1.83A.

What have i done wrong? And, assuming that I'm right, how would i find how the current is split? - It's not split equally, as i would have thought.

Thanks a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with you so far. With this current through the top-left resistor (according to your drawing), the voltage drops 2.02 volts. This leaves 9.98 volts across lamp 2 and also 9.98 volts across the lamp 3/resistor parallel.

The current though lamp 3 should be .76 amps, and the voltage should drop across the last resitor by .83 volts leaving 9.14 volts across lamp 3.

This is off from the given answer, I think, because the restance of the wires should be 1.09 ohms instead of 1.1 ohms during calculations.

1. What is electric power?

Electric power is the rate at which electrical energy is transferred or used in a circuit. It is measured in watts (W) and is calculated by multiplying the voltage (V) by the current (I).

2. What is the difference between AC and DC power?

AC (alternating current) power is the type of electricity that is commonly used for household and commercial purposes. It constantly changes direction and can travel over long distances. DC (direct current) power, on the other hand, flows in only one direction and is commonly used in batteries and electronic devices.

3. How is electric power generated?

Electric power is typically generated by using a device called a generator, which converts mechanical energy into electrical energy. This mechanical energy can come from various sources such as coal, natural gas, nuclear reactions, or renewable sources like wind or solar power.

4. What are the main components of an electric power system?

An electric power system consists of three main components: generation, transmission, and distribution. Generation involves producing electrical energy, transmission involves transporting the energy over long distances, and distribution involves delivering the energy to homes and businesses for use.

5. How can we reduce our electricity consumption?

There are several ways to reduce electricity consumption, including using energy-efficient appliances, turning off lights and electronics when not in use, using natural lighting and ventilation, and investing in renewable energy sources. Small changes in our daily habits can also make a big impact in reducing our overall electricity consumption.