1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric quadropole

1. Jul 22, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    four point charges +q,-q,+q,-q are placed at the four ends of a horizontal square of side 'a' .no of neutral points (where the electric field vanishes) is......
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    i think that there two dipole .. there is no null point due to dipole .but there to like charges ...due to that a neutral point exist in middle of square ...there fore i think that there exist only one neutral point...but ans provide in the key is infinity......how it will be..pls explain...this is a question from tifr 2009

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 22, 2015 #2

You have two dipoles placed in opposite direction . For any point d which is very far from these two dipoles (d >> distances between dipoles' monopoles) , the two will exert opposite electric field , equal in magnitude . Thus the net electric field at that point would be zero . This would be true for any far enough point and thus there would be ∞ null points , plus the center of course .

*I have assumed you know what the electric field is at any general point . Also I have not considered close points for I have already answered your question . I however think that electric field at a close by point would not be zero .

I hope this helps .

4. Jul 22, 2015 #3

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello sivadas, welcome to PF :smile: !

Is this a two-dimensional problem ? :wink:

PS I don't agree with qwerty2 :rolleyes:

5. Jul 22, 2015 #4

My mistake ?

6. Jul 22, 2015 #5

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes.

The fact that the field falls off faster than ##1/r^2## and also faster than ##1/r^3## doesn't mean it becomes zero at bigger distances: there is no ##r<\infty## for which ##|{\bf \vec E}| < \epsilon ## for all ##\epsilon > 0##. Except the r = 0 that was found already in the OP.

Sivadas' reasoning is correct - in the horizontal plane :wink:

7. Jul 22, 2015 #6
    Have I said any of that ?

Suppose there is a dipole placed along the x-axis at the origin . Electric field at a point at a large distance along the y-axis is (magnitude) kp/r3 - where p is the dipole moment .

Now you place a similar dipole which is aligned in an opposite sense (direction) to the original at the same place as the first . Are you saying that the resultant of the two will not be zero at the far away on the y-axis (/or any other far away point for that matter) ?

8. Jul 22, 2015 #7

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That is equivalent to removing the first dipole. I call that cheating :smile: . In the OP the charges are clearly not all in the origin.

9. Jul 22, 2015 #8
    No , my point is this - if you take a far enough point , it won't matter whether the dipoles are in the exact same position or not - for a really far point , they will equivalently be at the same position , and then - what I said in my previous post .

10. Jul 25, 2015 #9
    this is the actual problem- A17
    look through that..........

Attached Files:

11. Jul 25, 2015 #10
    As BvU has said , it will be zero along all points on the z-axis , already giving ∞ points .

As I have said , it should be zero at far away points all over the plane and all over the three dimensional volume too - however , you need to use your discretion for my point , i.e. , it is upto you whether you consider Limitd→∞ a/d = 0 . :cool:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted