Electric resistance in the truncated rotating cone

In summary: You don't need to calculate that. Just focus on the cross sectional area A. What is the area of a thin circular disk of thickness dx and radius r?I am not sure what "l" is, I think this is tha last think that needs... l= sqrt(h^2+(r2-r1)^2 ) .... r1 + ((r2-r1)/h)*x could it be?Yes, that's correct! So now you have an expression for dR in terms
ciso112

Homework Statement

Homogeneous body with the shape of a truncated rotating cone has a base shaped like a

circle. The radius of the lower base is R2 = 8 cm and radius of the upper base is R1 =

4 cm. The height h = 8 cm (see figure). Calculate the total electric

resistance between the base surfaces of the body, when made of a material of

resistivity ρ = 4*10 ^(-2) Ohm*m. Assume that during the transport of electric charge

through the body volume, the current density changes.

Homework Equations

see the picture

The Attempt at a Solution

idea:
triple integration..one through the height...and the remaining ones through the radius and the perimeter...but does this take into account the changing of the radius at different heights?

Attachments

• IMG_20160519_194312.jpg
    IMG_20160519_194312.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 416
  • Selection_026.jpg
    Selection_026.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 386
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Only a single integration is needed. Hint: thin circular disks.

Likes cnh1995
Write a general expression for any intermediate radius in terms of R1,R2 and h. Use it for calculation of resistance of thin circular discs and integrate along proper path.

Likes ciso112
TSny said:
Only a single integration is needed. Hint: thin circular disks.

hm, this gives me the integral of PI*r^2 with boundries of R2 and R1...?

ciso112 said:
hm, this gives me the integral of PI*r^2 with boundries of R2 and R1...?
This is not what you need to integrate. The entire truncated cone can be thought of as made of many thin slices (circular disks). Each disk will have a small resistance dR that will depend on the radius and thickness of the disk. These resistances are in "series", so the total resistance is the sum (or integral) of the individual resistances.

Likes ciso112
As you can see the resistances are in series, your limits of integration will be from 0 to h. Try writing a general expression for intermediate radius in terms of R1, R2 and h.

Likes ciso112
cnh1995 said:
intermediate radius

could you clarify this term pls, not even google helped me

TSny said:
This is not what you need to integrate. The entire truncated cone can be thought of as made of many thin slices (circular disks). Each disk will have a small resistance dR that will depend on the radius and thickness of the disk. These resistances are in "series", so the total resistance is the sum (or integral) of the individual resistances.

am I getting closer? dR = (PI*r^2*dh)/dI where I is electric current

ciso112 said:
could you clarify this term pls, not even google helped me
The radius varies from x=0 to x=h. You need to find a general expression for radius at a distance x in terms of R1, R2 and h. That's what I meant by intermediate radius. Limits of x will be from 0 to h when you'll integrate.

Likes ciso112
ciso112 said:
am I getting closer? dR = (PI*r^2*dh)/dI where I is electric current
There's no need to involve current.

Likes ciso112
R=ρ*l/A.. For a small disc at a distance x from the leftmost end, what is the length and area of cross section in terms of x?

Likes ciso112
In the figure below, you see a disk located at position x along the axis of the cone. The disk has a thickness dx and an area A(x) which depends on x. ( You will need to express A(x) explicitly in terms of the position x.) How would you express the resistance, dR, of the disk in terms of A(x) and dx?

Attachments

• cone resistance.png
    cone resistance.png
    8 KB · Views: 422
Likes ciso112 and cnh1995
cnh1995 said:
R=ρ*l/A.. For a small disc at a distance x from the leftmost end, what is the length and area of cross section in terms of x?
Radius varies linearly with x. At x=0, r=R1 and at x=h, r=R2. Using this data, can you write a general expression for r in terms of x?

Likes ciso112
cnh1995 said:
Radius varies linearly with x. At x=0, r=R1 and at x=h, r=R2. Using this data, can you write a general expression for r in terms of x?

The concept behind seems to be clear, the second thing is to write it down...what about: ...l (radius of a given element) = r1 + ((r2-r1)/h)*x

ciso112 said:
The concept behind seems to be clear, the second thing is to write it down...what about: l (radius of a given element) = R1 + (R2-R1 +dh) ...where dh could be x
It's like a straight line passing through (0, R1) and (h, R2). How will you write r as a function of x from this data? It is in the form r=ax+b.. Now a and b can be found using known quantities R1, R2 and h.

Likes ciso112
cnh1995 said:
It's like a straight line passing through (0, R1) and (h, R2). How will you write r as a function of x from this data? It is in the form r=ax+b.. Now a and b can be found using known quantities R1, R2 and h.

r1 + ((r2-r1)/h)*x could it be?

TSny said:
In the figure below, you see a disk located at position x along the axis of the cone. The disk has a thickness dx and an area A(x) which depends on x. ( You will need to express A(x) explicitly in terms of the position x.) How would you express the resistance, dR, of the disk in terms of A(x) and dx?

dR = ρ * (r1 + (((r2-r1)/h)*x)/dA) ?

ciso112 said:
Right!

Likes ciso112
cnh1995 said:
Right!

great, I thank you so much!
now all I need is to express dA and then I can turn to mathematics, yes?

what about, dA = PI*r^2*dx?

ciso112 said:
dR = ρ * (r1 + (((r2-r1)/h)*x)/dA) ?
The expression you got is for radius r.
R=ρ*l/A..

Likes ciso112
Look at Tsny's image carefully. You need to express dR in terms of dx and A(x)..

Likes ciso112
ciso112 said:
You now know radius r as a function of x. For a small disc of resistance dR, what is the thickness and cross sectional area in terms of x? Once you get that expression, all you need to do is integrate it between 0 to h.

Likes ciso112
cnh1995 said:
Look at Tsny's image carefully. You need to express dR in terms of dx and A(x)..

I am not sure what "l" is, I think this is tha last think that needs clarification

cnh1995 said:
You now know radius r as a function of x. For a small disc of resistance dR, what is the thickness and cross sectional area in terms of x? Once you get that expression, all you need to do is integrate it between 0 to h.

if "l" is the width, then: dR = RO*(dx/PI*r^2) where r = r1 + ((r2-r1)/h)*x ?

Likes cnh1995
ciso112 said:
if "l" is the width, then: dR = RO*(dx/PI*r^2) where r = r1 + ((r2-r1)/h)*x ?
There you go!:smile:

Likes ciso112
cnh1995 said:
There you go!:smile:

wow, words can hardly express the gratitude I feel towards you guys. Please, have all my likes
...and a video of a gopro camera set on a rocket which flies to space :D

Likes cnh1995

1. What is electric resistance in a truncated rotating cone?

Electric resistance in a truncated rotating cone refers to the measurement of how difficult it is for an electric current to flow through the cone. It is affected by the size, shape, and material composition of the cone, as well as the speed of rotation.

2. How does electric resistance change as the cone rotates?

As the cone rotates, the electric resistance may change due to a phenomenon called the Magnus effect. This effect causes the electric current to experience a sideways force, which can alter the flow of the current and therefore change the resistance.

3. What factors affect the electric resistance in a truncated rotating cone?

The electric resistance in a truncated rotating cone is influenced by several factors including the cone's dimensions, material composition, and rotational speed. Other external factors such as temperature and humidity can also affect the resistance.

4. How is electric resistance in a truncated rotating cone measured?

To measure the electric resistance in a truncated rotating cone, specialized equipment such as a multimeter or Wheatstone bridge is used. The cone is connected to the equipment and the resistance can be measured by passing an electric current through the cone and recording the voltage drop.

5. What is the practical application of studying electric resistance in a truncated rotating cone?

Understanding electric resistance in a truncated rotating cone has various practical applications in fields such as aerodynamics, fluid dynamics, and electrical engineering. It can also be used to analyze the behavior of rotating machinery and improve their design and efficiency.