• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Electric shock in human

  • Thread starter Terocamo
  • Start date
  • #1
47
0
I was reading about current electricity and some how I came across the idea that a circuit of no earthed point will not cause any electric shock.
I wonder if it is right cause if it is, why do we need an earth wire in our appliance.
I am also suspicious because if the circuit is not earthed, then there must be a non-zero potential on any point of it, so why is there no electric shock? Given that the person is standing on the ground and has zero potential, a p.d. should arise.
 

Answers and Replies

  • #2
supratim1
Gold Member
279
1
earth wire is provided to pass any accumulated charges on metal parts of electric devices, so that it doesn't get grounded through our body resulting in a shock.

i didnt understand the second part of ur question.
 
  • #3
47
0
We cannot define the absolute potential if there is no reference point, earthing a point is one way to define a zero point. Hence, if the circuit is not earthed, then there should be a non-zero potential in practically any point of the circuit. Well I hope this can make my question clearer.
 
  • #4
PhanthomJay
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
7,146
491
..if the circuit is not earthed, then there must be a non-zero potential on any point of it, so why is there no electric shock? Given that the person is standing on the ground and has zero potential, a p.d. should arise.
There is a potential difference between the energized wire and the person on the ground, but since the insulating properties of air (a dielectric) lies between the two, then there is no earthing to ground (no grounded path for current to flow), although there will be an electric field that could induce currents and shocks, if high enough. If that's what you mean..
 
  • #5
47
0
But what if u touch that wire?
It is said that u still will not receive a shock.
I am thinking maybe a circuit that is not grounded does not form a closed circuit with the person touching it, there is no path for the current to flow back to the circuit do the person is not going to receive the shock.
 

Related Threads on Electric shock in human

  • Last Post
Replies
4
Views
2K
  • Last Post
Replies
1
Views
2K
Replies
4
Views
2K
  • Last Post
Replies
3
Views
2K
Replies
16
Views
2K
  • Last Post
Replies
1
Views
2K
  • Last Post
Replies
6
Views
8K
  • Last Post
Replies
4
Views
1K
  • Last Post
Replies
2
Views
261
  • Last Post
Replies
1
Views
3K
Top