Why do we need an Earth wire in our appliances?

In summary, current electricity and the concept of an electric shock is explained. It is said that if the circuit is not earthed, there must be a non-zero potential on any point of it, but because the person has zero potential, there is no electric shock. It is also mentioned that if you touch the wire, you still won't receive a shock.
Terocamo
I was reading about current electricity and some how I came across the idea that a circuit of no earthed point will not cause any electric shock.
I wonder if it is right cause if it is, why do we need an Earth wire in our appliance.
I am also suspicious because if the circuit is not earthed, then there must be a non-zero potential on any point of it, so why is there no electric shock? Given that the person is standing on the ground and has zero potential, a p.d. should arise.

Physics news on Phys.org
earth wire is provided to pass any accumulated charges on metal parts of electric devices, so that it doesn't get grounded through our body resulting in a shock.

i didnt understand the second part of ur question.

We cannot define the absolute potential if there is no reference point, earthing a point is one way to define a zero point. Hence, if the circuit is not earthed, then there should be a non-zero potential in practically any point of the circuit. Well I hope this can make my question clearer.

Terocamo said:
..if the circuit is not earthed, then there must be a non-zero potential on any point of it, so why is there no electric shock? Given that the person is standing on the ground and has zero potential, a p.d. should arise.
There is a potential difference between the energized wire and the person on the ground, but since the insulating properties of air (a dielectric) lies between the two, then there is no earthing to ground (no grounded path for current to flow), although there will be an electric field that could induce currents and shocks, if high enough. If that's what you mean..

But what if u touch that wire?
It is said that u still will not receive a shock.
I am thinking maybe a circuit that is not grounded does not form a closed circuit with the person touching it, there is no path for the current to flow back to the circuit do the person is not going to receive the shock.

What is an electric shock?

An electric shock occurs when a person comes into contact with a source of electricity, such as an electrical outlet or a lightning strike. The body becomes a conductor for the electricity, causing a sudden and potentially dangerous flow of electricity through the body.

What are the common causes of electric shock in humans?

The most common causes of electric shock in humans include faulty electrical equipment, contact with power lines, and accidents involving electrical appliances. Electric shock can also occur as a result of lightning strikes or exposure to high-voltage electricity.

What are the symptoms of electric shock?

The symptoms of electric shock may vary depending on the severity of the shock and the amount of electricity that passes through the body. Common symptoms include muscle contractions, burns, difficulty breathing, and in extreme cases, cardiac arrest.

What should I do if someone has been electrically shocked?

If someone has been electrically shocked, it is important to immediately turn off the source of electricity and call for medical help. Do not touch the person until the power is turned off. If the person is unconscious, perform CPR until medical help arrives.

How can electric shock be prevented?

To prevent electric shock, it is important to practice electrical safety. This includes using electrical equipment properly, avoiding contact with power lines, and keeping electrical outlets and appliances away from water. It is also important to have regular inspections and maintenance of electrical systems to ensure they are functioning safely.