Electricity sources vs. fossil fuels

In summary: Fossil fuels need to be burned, which produces CO2, which retains the heat from escaping our atmosphere, so it becomes hotter on Earth. So are electrical engines really the answer?No, they are not the answer. Electrical energy is a flow of electrons, and when you use electrical energy you are using up a unit of electricity that you may not be able to use again.
ISamson
Gold Member
Hello,
The issue of climate change and energy has been in the news for a long time.
But are electric, chemical or renewable sources really more environmentally friendly than fossil fuels? Fossil fuels need to be burned, which produces CO2, which retains the heat from escaping our atmosphere, so it becomes hotter on Earth. But are electrical engines really the answer?
It is kind of cool that electricity can be reused.
In the replies could you please refer to chemical explanations and opinions?
Thank you.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Ivan Samsonov said:
But are electric, chemical or renewable sources really more environmentally friendly than fossil fuels?
You're comparing apples (fossil fuels and renewables) with oranges (electric is not a source of energy; you need to get if from some actual source) and with apples under a different name (burning fossil fuels is a chemical reaction, so how is that different from 'chemical source'?).

Can you clarify your question?

Why generate energy if we can just get electricity from a plug?

There are no electrical sources of energy. I think you have a question in there somewhere, but I don't think it's what you asked.

Likes russ_watters
Yikes. I'll give it a shot...
Ivan Samsonov said:
But are electric, chemical or renewable sources really more environmentally friendly than fossil fuels?
1. There are no direct electrical sources of energy...the closest thing might be solar, but most of our electrical energy comes from fossil fuels (in most countries. Exception: France). So no, at the moment electricity is not more environmentally friendly than fossil fuels because electrical energy is fossil fuel energy!
2. Fossil fuels are a chemical source of energy.
It is kind of cool that electricity can be reused.
No it can't.

russ_watters said:
No it can't.

But you con't destroy electrons completely, can you?

Last edited:
Ivan Samsonov said:
But you con't destroy electrons completely, can you?
Correct. You can't destroy them even a little bit...so...what do you think electrical energy is?

Can I ask your education level?

Last edited:
russ_watters said:
That looks like about 60% of a sentence...

Correct. You can't destroy them even a little bit...so...what do you think electrical energy is?

Can I ask your education level?

Electrical energy is a flow of electrons

Sorry if I disappoint you, but my education level is middle school, year 7 in Australia.

Ivan Samsonov said:
Electrical energy is a flow of electrons
Right. flow of electrons. So it isn't about destroying them. And like water flowing over a waterfall, you only get to use a certain unit of electricity once unless you recharge it somehow.
Sorry if I disappoint you, but my education level is middle school, year 7 in Australia.
Not disappointed, I just wanted to know what I was dealing with so i could help you better. :smile: We don't get a lot of 7th graders, so I wasn't sure how best to talk to you.

Vanadium 50 said:
Why generate energy if we can just get electricity from a plug?

I mean how it gets there in the plug initially. How the electricity is actually produced and used.

What is the difference between electricity sources and fossil fuels?

The main difference between electricity sources and fossil fuels is the way in which they are generated. Electricity sources, such as solar, wind, and hydro power, use renewable energy sources to produce electricity. Fossil fuels, on the other hand, are non-renewable resources that are burned to generate electricity.

Which is more environmentally friendly, electricity sources or fossil fuels?

Electricity sources are generally considered to be more environmentally friendly than fossil fuels. This is because they do not produce greenhouse gas emissions, which contribute to climate change. Additionally, electricity sources use renewable resources that can be replenished, while fossil fuels are finite resources that cannot be replaced.

What are the advantages of using electricity sources over fossil fuels?

There are several advantages to using electricity sources over fossil fuels. Firstly, electricity sources do not produce harmful emissions, making them more environmentally friendly. They also have lower operating costs and do not require constant refueling like fossil fuel generators. Additionally, electricity sources can be located in a variety of locations, making them more accessible than fossil fuel sources.

Are there any disadvantages to using electricity sources instead of fossil fuels?

One potential disadvantage of using electricity sources is their intermittent nature. For example, solar panels only produce electricity when the sun is shining, and wind turbines only generate electricity when the wind is blowing. This can make it challenging to rely solely on electricity sources for power. Additionally, the initial costs of setting up electricity sources can be higher than traditional fossil fuel power plants.

Is there a possibility that all electricity will be generated from renewable sources in the future?

While it is possible for all electricity to be generated from renewable sources in the future, it is not currently feasible. There are still limitations and challenges to overcome, such as storage and distribution of renewable energy. However, many countries are making significant efforts to increase their use of renewable energy and decrease their reliance on fossil fuels in the coming years.