Electric transmission, copper

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of copper in electric motors and the potential effects of altering its surface. The speaker also brings up the possibility of using carbon nanotubes for their good electrical characteristics, but notes that production methods are not yet perfected. They ask if anyone has any ideas on this topic and suggest looking into brushless AC motors. Additionally, they provide a link for potential producers of carbon nanotubes.
MIC
I have a question because of something I remembered while I was looking at some large copper windings for a generator.

I heard one of my teachers say that electricity moved along the surface of a copper wire. I am wondering how pitting a copper wire, making it sponge like, or carving parallel lines along the axis would effect the electrical conductance and magnetic fields created?? How about copper plating to something less dense?

The development I am looking for would be lightweight, electric motors for cars.
Ive heard carbon nanotubes have good electrical chracteristics ( can withstand a lot more heat per the gauge size ), but the production methods arent perfected.

I am just wondering if anyone has any ideas on this topic, and this material used for so many electric devices.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Alternating Current of high frequency will travel along the outside of a conductor. It is called the skin effect. I'm not sure of any producers of carbon nanotubes, but you could try this link http://www.motionnet.com/cgi-bin/search.exe?string=nanotube [Broken]

Brushless AC motors may be a good topic to start with.

Last edited by a moderator:

I can provide some insight into your question about the effects of altering the surface of a copper wire on its electrical conductance and magnetic fields.

Firstly, it is true that electricity does primarily flow on the surface of a copper wire rather than through its entire volume. This is due to the phenomenon known as the skin effect, where high frequency currents tend to flow on the outermost layer of a conductor.

In terms of pitting or carving parallel lines along the axis of a copper wire, this could potentially disrupt the flow of electricity along the surface and result in decreased conductance. However, the effect would likely be minimal unless the pitting or carving was severe enough to significantly alter the surface area of the wire.

Copper plating onto a less dense material could also potentially decrease conductance, as the plating material may not have the same conductivity as pure copper. However, this would also depend on the thickness and quality of the plating.

In terms of using carbon nanotubes as a replacement for copper in electric motors, this is an area of ongoing research. While carbon nanotubes do have excellent electrical properties, as you mentioned, the production methods are not yet perfected and there are still challenges to be overcome in terms of cost and scalability.

In summary, altering the surface of a copper wire may have some impact on its electrical conductance, but the effects would likely be minor. As for using carbon nanotubes in electric motors, it is a promising area of research, but there are still challenges to be addressed before it can be widely implemented.

1. What is electric transmission?

Electric transmission refers to the process of moving electrical energy from one location to another. This typically involves the use of power lines and transformers to carry electricity over long distances.

2. What is copper's role in electric transmission?

Copper is a highly conductive metal that is commonly used in electric transmission due to its ability to efficiently transport electricity. It is often used in power lines, transformers, and other components of the electric grid.

3. How does copper compare to other materials used in electric transmission?

Copper is one of the most commonly used materials in electric transmission due to its high conductivity and relatively low cost. Other materials, such as aluminum and silver, may also be used but are typically less efficient or more expensive.

4. What are the benefits of using copper in electric transmission?

One of the main benefits of using copper in electric transmission is its high conductivity, which allows for efficient and reliable transmission of electricity. Copper is also durable and has a long lifespan, making it a cost-effective choice for electric transmission infrastructure.

5. Are there any environmental concerns associated with copper in electric transmission?

While copper itself is not harmful to the environment, the production and disposal of copper products can have negative impacts. Mining and processing copper can release pollutants and waste, and improper disposal of old copper components can contribute to electronic waste. However, copper is often recycled and can be a sustainable choice for electric transmission.