Help with Electrical Exam Question: Star Connection

In summary, a student has started a new Electrical Course and is working through an old exam paper. They are unsure about their attempt at a star connection question and would like someone to review it. Another user confirms that the capacitor and inductor circuits are correct, but the student is unsure about their unbalanced star connection. They are encouraged to come back and share their knowledge if they find a solution.
nokk79
Hi

I've just started a new Electrical Course and have been working through an old exam paper but i got a bit lost when doing the star connection question - see attached for question and work done

would just like someone to tell me if any of what I've done is correct and where I've gone wrong

Thanks.

Attachments

• Exam Paper.doc
    149.5 KB · Views: 159
  • Q1 a i - ii.pdf
    158.5 KB · Views: 145
  • Q1 b.pdf
    137.2 KB · Views: 159
Physics news on Phys.org
I'd like someone else to take a look but from what I see, it looks okay. I think you did a good job in providing your "attempt at a solution" on this problem. And welcome to PF.

Thanks Digoff

I think the capacitor and inductor circuits are ok but
the problem is I've never done an unbalanced star -connection before so wasn't sure if what i was doing was correct.

I concur with dlgoff, it looks good as well..
If not, you could always come back and educate the rest of us.. :approve:

1. How do I determine the line voltage in a star connection?

In a star connection, the line voltage is equal to the phase voltage multiplied by the square root of three.

2. What is the purpose of a neutral wire in a star connection?

The neutral wire in a star connection is used to provide a return path for the current and to balance the load across the three phases.

3. How do I calculate the current in each phase of a star connection?

To calculate the current in each phase of a star connection, divide the line voltage by the impedance of the load in that phase.

4. What is the difference between a star connection and a delta connection?

A star connection has a neutral wire and a delta connection does not. In a delta connection, each phase is connected in a triangular shape, while in a star connection, each phase is connected to a central point.

5. Can I convert a star connection to a delta connection?

Yes, it is possible to convert a star connection to a delta connection by rearranging the connections of the three phases. However, this may require additional wiring and is not a common practice.