Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrical activity

1. Nov 15, 2008 #1

DEW

we seem to be suffering from strange, what I am pretty sure, is electrical activity in our house. We seem to be getting electrical charges through bed mattresses, that actually make the mattress feel as if it is moving and/or strange extreme heating up of the bed mattresses. Also, when we are asleep we are often awakened by strange, what I can only describe as electrical pulses attacking the duvet, that cause feelings of severe pins and needles. We're all getting cranky from lack of sleep and very fed up. Anyone any ideas of what is going on?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2008 #2
    Let's say this Twinkie represents the normal amount of psychokinetic energy in an average household. According to my calculations based on the phenomena you've described, if represented as a snack food the total amount of psychokinetic energy in your house would be a Twinkie 35 feet long, weighing approximately 600 pounds. Plus, poltergeists love duvets.

I recommend proton packs and a containment grid.

4. Nov 15, 2008 #3
    But seriously, have you just tried sleeping in a different room? Does it all still happen?

5. Nov 15, 2008 #4
    Your house isn't built on a Native American burial ground, is it?

6. Nov 15, 2008 #5

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You said "we" so I presume there's someone else in bed with you...does that person feel this, too?

Did it just start, or has it been going on for a while?

7. Nov 15, 2008 #6
    you really should throw a fabric softener sheet in the dryer with the duvet

8. Nov 15, 2008 #7

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

OK...does anyone think DEW will come back?

9. Nov 15, 2008 #8

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

And if that doesn't work, try a humidifier. Or different sheets/blankets. Sounds like static electricity to me.

10. Nov 15, 2008 #9
    He's probably dead. You jerks kept joking around while he was being attacked by vengeful spirits coming out of his TV and closet.

You should be ashamed. :mad:

11. Nov 15, 2008 #10
    He's been crushed under the giant Twinkie.

12. Nov 15, 2008 #11
    Okay, he took too long to come back, it's play time.
    BACK OFF MAN
    [​IMG]
    I'M A SCIENTIST

13. Nov 15, 2008 #12

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:uhh: Maybe it's time to move the foot of the metal bedframe off the broken extension cord running under it?

14. Nov 15, 2008 #13
    or maybe this bed has a quarter slot

15. Nov 15, 2008 #14
    God dammit, he probably crossed the beams. =/

He's stuck fighting Zuul in some other dimension right now.

16. Nov 16, 2008 #15

DEW

Well, fat lot of good you lot are!!!! Here I am, a beautiful damsel in distress, and you lot are taking the mickey. Actually, it did cheer me up. But this is serious guys, something weird is going on in my house and yes I have tried the spare room, but it still continued. So, apart from ghosties, anyone got any sensible ideas of whats going on?:cry:

17. Nov 16, 2008 #16
    Get a new mattress. One that isn't infused with spirits of the dead.

18. Nov 16, 2008 #17

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

And remember to always ask the realtor if the house is built on an indian burial ground.

19. Nov 16, 2008 #18

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Static is unlikely to be enough to wake you up. Much more likely is either getting too hot (prickly heat) or some allergy to the sheets or detergent.
    Try some new cotton sheets and use them without washing them.

20. Nov 16, 2008 #19
    That's ridiculous. The dead don't have spirits. It's the ones who are not dead yet but walk on earth.

21. Nov 16, 2008 #20

DEW

I did have the comfiest mattress ever, well up to six months ago, but if it was ghosties and ghoulies they might hang around my bedroom, waiting to jump into my nice new mattress and I would still have the same problem.

Seriously now, I'm getting unwanted electricity from somewhere, any ideas.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?