Strange Electrical Activity at Home - Help Needed

In summary, we seem to be suffering from strange, what I am pretty sure, is electrical activity in our house. We seem to be getting electrical charges through bed mattresses, that actually make the mattress feel as if it is moving and/or strange extreme heating up of the bed mattresses. Also, when we are asleep we are often awakened by strange, what I can only describe as electrical pulses attacking the duvet, that cause feelings of severe pins and needles. We're all getting cranky from lack of sleep and very fed up. Anyone any ideas of what is going on?
edward said:
Static electricity won't necessarily dissipate in time if you keep on generating it. If A person wears cotton or flannel jammies or undergarments in bed everytime you turn over you generate more static.

Some fabrics especially polyester, silk, cotton, or wool can generate quite a lot of static if you move one over the other. What is the fabric on the mattress made of. What are the sheets and blanket made of.

We have a static problem her in the SW USA. Sometimes when I pull up the sheet to get in bed it looks like a miniature lightning storm going on under there.

If all else fails run a copper wire from the mattress to the nearest water faucet. :biggrin:

Static electricity was really bad when I lived in Alaska, as well. A very dry climate, combined with a radiator for heat, makes for an incredibly large amount of static electricity (and the poster did mention they have a radiator). Every sensible resident had humidifiers in their room, but it was never enough to eliminate the static electricity problem.

Our base commissary has problems with static electricity, as well. It turns grocery shopping into an ordeal. It gets to the point where I'm half scared to take a can off the shelf because I know I'm going to get an electric shock. They have no cell phone reception in there, either. It's a really strange building.

Grounding the bed to the plumbing would be a great idea.

Physics news on Phys.org
would grounding your bed to the plumbing increase your chances of getting fried if lightning hit the plumbing in your house or somewhere else in the vicinty? Just a thought...

I've heard of people being shocked through their tap while washing their hands during a thunder storm.

redargon said:
would grounding your bed to the plumbing increase your chances of getting fried if lightning hit the plumbing in your house or somewhere else in the vicinty? Just a thought...

I've heard of people being shocked through their tap while washing their hands during a thunder storm.

No. If the plumbung is grounded and plumbing typically is as it's in the ground, there is no chance of getting fried.

Edit: I was going to correct the "plumbung", but it sounds so cool, that I'm just going to leave it like that.

misgfool said:
"plumbung"

-- a plumbing problem that's too personal for me to presume to offer advice! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

No one else on my mattress but me. The only person suffering is me. It can't be neurological because it only happens at home and no where else.

Anyway, I followed Russ' advice about static, replaced the duvet with cotton sheets and wool blankets, stuck wet towel on the radiator, left window open all night (it was freezing!) and I'm glad to say it was much better. I got my first full night's sleep for over six months. Thank you Russ. The only problem is that it's still going on but nowhere so bad, so I'm hoping that the static will actually reduce now my lovely great big gorgeous duvet has gone to the spare room. I had no idea that static could cause a major problem like this. Some nights I've been woken up by what's felt like someone shaking my shoulder. Seriously weird.

Proton Soup said:
not sure that an electroscope would pick that up, but it should be a bit easier to convert to a power source.
I was thinking of those coil spring inductors. :bugeye:

physics girl phd said:
-- a plumbing problem that's too personal for me to presume to offer advice! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

No doubt. I don't know if she needs a pipefitter or a proctologist.

I've gone for two nights now without my ultra thick, winter warmth duvet and the electrical activity which was attacking the top of the duvet is not happening with the wool blankets. The only problem is I still have something going on with the mattress, but that's not so bad now either and, hopefully, this will subside too. Put it this way, I can sleep through it. Heavenly heavenly sleep.

:zzz: :zzz: :smile: :zzz: :zzz: :smile: :zzz: :zzz: :smile: :zzz: :zzz:

I don't need a proctologist thank you. :blushing: :rolleyes: :yuck: :confused:

Try scrolling through the 'smilies' window; you missed a couple. :biggrin:

Just because little smilies make me happy, there's no need to be nasty about it. I could always help you learn how to use the smiley feature ! :devil: