Electrical Basics: Understand Physics & Learn Equations

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in understanding the basics of electrical physics, including charges, forces, fields, flux, potential, and capacitance. The person is struggling to visualize how these properties relate to each other and determine which equations to use in different situations. Several resources, including websites and textbooks, are recommended to help improve understanding of these concepts.
spank_fusion
Alright, I've learned a lot of electrical physics over the past month. So far, I know about charges, forces, fields, flux, potential, and capacitance. The problem is that I'm having a hard time visualizing how these properties relate to each other. I'm also having a lot of trouble knowing which equations to use in which situations. The book is a bit confusing, and I was wondering if anyone could help me understand these basics a little better or point me to a good learning reference. I would really, really appreciate it. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
Try and get "Conceptual Physics" by Paul G.Hewitt published by Addison Wesley. He does an excellent job at making physics understandable (at a very basic level). I myself were brought up on "University Physics" by Sears, Zemansky and Young (first year university physics), which, if you have the patience to work through it, makes the concepts very clear.

It sounds like you're probably in one of the first year physics classes (usually for mostly engineering students) that forces you to learn by rote techniques: "Memorize this equation, use it in this situation, plug and chug."

I understand this is often a necessary "evil," but if you have a decent multivariable calculus background, I highly recommend David J. Griffith's "Introduction to Electrodynamics."

It probably goes far beyond the scope of your course, but the first quarter to half of the book will do *wonders* to help your understanding of electrostatics and magnetostatics. You'll get to see why things are the way they are, and how certain conclusions were drawn.
He walks you through the math that allows you to truly understand E&M.

Book

Try this book "Physic for scientist and Engineers" by Raymond A. Serway, Robert Beichner. it will definitely help you out.

1. What is electricity?

Electricity is a form of energy that is caused by the movement of electrons. It can be found in nature, such as in lightning, or it can be generated and harnessed for human use through various processes.

2. How is electricity measured?

Electricity is measured using units such as voltage, current, and resistance. Voltage is measured in volts (V), current is measured in amperes (A), and resistance is measured in ohms (Ω). These units are used to understand the behavior and flow of electricity in circuits.

3. What is the difference between AC and DC electricity?

AC (alternating current) electricity is characterized by the continuous flow of electrons in both directions, while DC (direct current) electricity flows in only one direction. AC electricity is commonly used for household and industrial purposes, while DC electricity is often used in smaller electronic devices and batteries.

4. What is Ohm's law?

Ohm's law is a fundamental principle in electricity that describes the relationship between voltage, current, and resistance. It states that the current through a conductor between two points is directly proportional to the voltage across the two points, and inversely proportional to the resistance between them.

5. How can I apply electrical equations in everyday life?

Understanding electrical equations can help you troubleshoot and solve problems in various electrical systems, such as household circuits or electronic devices. It can also help you make informed decisions when it comes to energy consumption and efficiency. Additionally, knowledge of electrical basics can be useful in various fields, such as engineering, physics, and technology.