Electrical Circuit and Current

In summary, the circuit shown in the figure has R1 dissipating electrical energy at a rate of 20.0 W. The resistors are arranged in a parallel circuit and the purple arrows represent a total current of 5.50 A (2.00 A I_1 and 3.50 A).
Soaring Crane

Homework Statement

In the circuit shown in the figure, the rate at which R1 is dissipating electrical energy is 20.0 W.

yf_Figure_26_381.jpg

I just have questions about the circuit's setup. The resistors are arranged in a parallel circuit?

As for the purple arrows, is 2.00 A I_1 and 3.50 A the total current in the circuit?

Homework Equations

See below.

The Attempt at a Solution

This is just a preliminary question. I shall post my workings at a later time if I am baffled by the questions associated with the figure.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds good to me so far.

Soaring Crane said:
I just have questions about the circuit's setup. The resistors are arranged in a parallel circuit?
Yes, the resistors are in parallel.

As for the purple arrows, is 2.00 A I_1 and 3.50 A the total current in the circuit?
That's how I would interpret them.

1. What is an electrical circuit?

An electrical circuit is a closed loop of conductive materials that allows electricity to flow through it and power devices.

2. What is the difference between AC and DC current?

AC (alternating current) constantly changes direction, while DC (direct current) flows in only one direction. AC is used for long-distance power transmission, while DC is used for smaller electronic devices.

3. How is current measured in a circuit?

Current is measured in amperes (A) using a device called an ammeter. It measures the flow of electrons in a circuit.

4. What is the relationship between voltage and current?

Voltage is the force that pushes electrons through a circuit, while current is the rate of flow of those electrons. They are directly proportional, meaning that as voltage increases, current also increases.

5. What is the purpose of a resistor in a circuit?

A resistor is a component in a circuit that limits the flow of current. It is used to control the amount of voltage and current in a circuit, and is often used to protect other components from damage.