1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrical Circuit Problem

1. Aug 27, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A real voltage source is of the Thevenin Type. The open circuit voltage of the source is 12 volts. If a 100 ohm load is added to the circuit, the voltage at the same terminals is 11.2 volts. What is the internal resistance of the source.

3. The attempt at a solution

I found the total current in the circuit to be 12/100 = 120mA

If there is .8 volts missing, the internal resistance should be: .8/120mA????

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2007 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

When they say "real voltage source", that means that you should not ignore the built-in output resistance of the source. So the total current will not be 12V/100 Ohms.... you need to include the Rout in that equation as well....

4. Aug 27, 2007 #3
    I need to find the internal resistance before I can include it in the equation right? After doing .8/120mA=6.66 Ohms. The new total current could be 12V/(100 + 6.66)

5. Aug 27, 2007 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

I'm not sure if that's right, but try it this way -- use the voltage divider equation, since you know the voltage source is 12V, and the divided down voltage across Rout and 100 Ohms is 11.2V.....

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?