Electrical Circuits: Power and Energy Calculations

In summary: I really appreciate it.In summary, a student was asked to supply an electric motor with 1.0 mA of current at 3.0 V potential difference. The power to be supplied to the motor was determined to be 0.003 watts, and the electrical energy to be supplied in 60 seconds was calculated to be 0.18 joules. It was also found that the efficiency of the motor was 66% when it was able to lift a .012 kg mass a distance of 1.0 m in 60 seconds at a constant velocity. For the last task, the student used a simple series circuit with a 5000 ohm resistor in parallel with the motor and the 9.0 V battery to
venom201

Homework Statement

A student is asked to supply an electric motor with 1.0 mA of current at 3.0 V potential difference.
a. Determine the power to be supplied to the motor.
b. Determine the elctrical energy to be supplied to the motor in 60s.
c. Operating as designed, the motor can lift a .012 kg mass a distance of 1.0 m in 60s at a constant velocity.
d.To operate the motor, the student has available only a 9.0 v battery to use as the power source and 5 resistors: 1000 [tex]\Omega[/tex], 4000 [tex]\Omega[/tex], 4000[tex]\Omega[/tex], 5000[tex]\Omega[/tex], 10000[tex]\Omega[/tex].
How should the circuit be wired to power the motor.

Homework Equations

P= IV
efficiency = output/input

The Attempt at a Solution

a. (.001)(3)= .003 watts

b. Not too sure about this, I just multiplied the .003 by 60 to get .18 watts

c. mgh= (.012)(10)(1)= .12
So do I divide .12 by the answer from part b?, I feel like I'm missing a step in there.

d. For this I'm completely lost, I know the motor should be in parallel with another branch of the circuit but I'm not sure which resistors to use.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

a and b look good. There is no question in part c.
For d, I suggest a simple series circuit with the current from the battery flowing through a resistor on its way to the motor. Knowing the voltage drop across the resistor and the current, you can calculate the appropriate resistance. I'm sure you can see how to get that resistance from the collection of resistors you have available.

b should be in units of energy, not power. So joules, or volt-amp-hours, or watt-seconds, or some such.

Delphi51 said:
Welcome to PF!

a and b look good. There is no question in part c.
For d, I suggest a simple series circuit with the current from the battery flowing through a resistor on its way to the motor. Knowing the voltage drop across the resistor and the current, you can calculate the appropriate resistance. I'm sure you can see how to get that resistance from the collection of resistors you have available.

Thanks for the welcome and sorry about part c not having a question, it asks for the efficiency of the motor if it can lift .012 kg 1 meter in 60 seconds. I came up with the change in potential energy of the mass which equals the work done by the motor and divided it by the energy supplied to get 66%@gneill, Thanks, it makes more sense that way now.

I'm still lost on part d though, if it is just a series circuit with one pathway for the current, the only way to get .001 Amperes of current would be with 9000 [tex]\Omega[/tex] of resistance but that would also result in a total voltage drop of 12 V

venom201 said:
I'm still lost on part d though, if it is just a series circuit with one pathway for the current, the only way to get .001 Amperes of current would be with 9000 [tex]\Omega[/tex] of resistance but that would also result in a total voltage drop of 12 V

You'll want the motor to drop the same voltage as before (3.0V). So how much will the inserted resistor have to drop?

gneill said:
You'll want the motor to drop the same voltage as before (3.0V). So how much will the inserted resistor have to drop?

6 volts?

So do I use the 1000 ohm and 5000 ohm resistors in series with the motor and battery?

Sounds reasonable!

Wow, thanks for all the help guys!

1. What is an electrical circuit?

An electrical circuit is a closed loop of conductive material that allows for the flow of electric current. It typically consists of a power source, conductors, and loads.

2. What is the difference between AC and DC circuits?

AC (alternating current) circuits have a constantly changing direction of current flow, while DC (direct current) circuits have a constant direction of current flow. AC is commonly used for transmitting electricity over long distances, while DC is often used for smaller, local applications.

3. What is the role of resistors in an electrical circuit?

Resistors are components that limit the flow of current in a circuit. They are used to control the amount of current that reaches different parts of the circuit and to prevent damage to components.

4. How do I calculate the total resistance in a series or parallel circuit?

In a series circuit, the total resistance is equal to the sum of all individual resistances. In a parallel circuit, the total resistance is calculated by taking the reciprocal of the sum of the reciprocals of each individual resistance.

5. What is the purpose of a circuit breaker or fuse?

Circuit breakers and fuses are safety devices that protect the circuit from excessive current. They are designed to break the circuit if the current exceeds a certain limit, preventing damage to the components and potential hazards such as fire.