Find Thevinin Equivalent for AB - Electrical Circuits Homework

In summary, Thevinin's Theorem is a method for simplifying complex electrical circuits by replacing them with a single voltage source and resistor. The steps for finding the Thevinin Equivalent involve removing the load resistor, determining the open circuit voltage and equivalent resistance, and then using these values to create the simplified circuit. The purpose of finding the Thevinin Equivalent is to make the circuit easier to analyze and calculate. However, this theorem can only be applied to linear circuits and may not be an exact match for all load resistors.
erezb84

Homework Statement

I need to find the thevinin equivalent for points AB.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the Is current is splitting equally between R1 and R3, but doesn't go to R2 because of the dependent current source.
so i thought that through:
I(R5) = Is
and I(R3)=Is/2
so the Vab=-3/2*IS*R
but this is wrong.
where is my mistake?
thanks!

Attachments

• 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    14.3 KB · Views: 457
Physics news on Phys.org
1. Let Ig = 0, put V1 across RLand compute i. Then thevenin Req = V1/i.

2. Restore Ig, compute V across RL. Thevenin current source then is V/Req.

1. What is Thevinin's Theorem?

Thevinin's Theorem is a method for simplifying complex electrical circuits. It states that any linear electrical network with voltage and current sources and resistances can be replaced by a single voltage source in series with a single resistance. This simplified circuit is known as the Thevinin Equivalent Circuit.

2. How do I find the Thevinin Equivalent for a given circuit?

The steps for finding the Thevinin Equivalent are as follows:

1. Remove the load resistor (AB) from the circuit.
  2. Determine the open circuit voltage (Voc) by using a voltmeter across the open terminals where the load resistor was removed.
  3. Calculate the equivalent resistance (Req) by removing all voltage and current sources from the circuit and finding the resistance between the open terminals.
  4. The Thevinin Equivalent Circuit will have a voltage source with a value of Voc and a resistor with a value of Req in series.

3. What is the purpose of finding the Thevinin Equivalent?

Finding the Thevinin Equivalent allows us to simplify a complex circuit into a single voltage source and resistor, making it easier to analyze and understand the behavior of the circuit. It also allows us to easily calculate the voltage and current at any point in the circuit.

4. Can Thevinin's Theorem be used for non-linear circuits?

No, Thevinin's Theorem only applies to linear circuits, meaning that the relationship between voltage and current must be linear (i.e. Ohm's Law must apply). Non-linear circuits cannot be simplified using Thevinin's Theorem.

5. How accurate is the Thevinin Equivalent compared to the original circuit?

The Thevinin Equivalent is an accurate representation of the original circuit for the specific load resistor that was removed. It will not be an exact match for all load resistors, but it can provide a good approximation for most practical applications.