Designing a 240VAC Coil Assembly with 1600 Turns and 22 AWG Wire

In summary: The coil has the following specs: - 120 VAC application- 1,600 turns- 22 AWG magnet wire- 12.5 ohms typicallyThe customer has asked if David can make the coil using the same bobbin but for a 240 volt application. David is not an electrical engineer, but he does have some printouts of what the customer wants. If David can come up with the windings needed for 240 VAC, he will get more work.Based on this, suggestions for the windings are being offered. Double the turns and halve the wire area to get 4 times the resistance. Go from 1600 turns to 3200 turns.
bmwdavid
I'm currently making a coil assembly for a customer. The coil has the following specs:

120 VAC application
1,600 Turns
22 AWG magnet wire
12.5 ohms typically
coil is in a circuit with a half sine wave rectifier and a solid state VAC controller
current draw is .6 amps (72 watts)

Customer has asked if I could make the coil using the same bobbin but for a 240 volt application. I'm not an electrical engineer...more of a manufacturer. I take someones print and build them what they want.

Anyway if I could come up with the windings needed for 240 VAC I could get some more work.

So...can anyone give me a suggestion on wire gage and turns to make this coil work at 240 VAC. If you need more info please ask me and I'll try to answer.

Thanks!

David

Engineering news on Phys.org
What's the intended application of these coils? Wire-wound potentiometer/resistor? Power inductor? Transformer? High current choke?

If you take someone else's drawings and then produce them, you really should be going back to that person to get them to redesign it for 240 V.

That is the problem...originally I reverse engineered the 120 VAC coil to see what to make. This coil (120 VAC) works great.

Now customer is asking if I can make a 240 VAC version of this coil. The application is an electromagnet.

So to get back to square one, on this project I did not have a drawing and customer does not have electrical engineering in house hence the request that I try to come up with something.

Based on that can you or anyone else give some suggestions for the windings?

Thanks!

David

Double the number of turns and halve the wire area.
Go from 1600 turns to 3200 turns.
Go from 22 AWG (640 circular mills) to 25 AWG (320 circular mills)
resistance will go from 12.5 ohm to 25 ohm.

In the practical case, winding area may become slightly larger or smaller, due to incomplete layers. (Assuming you are using film insulation)
Also the 240 volt may require slightly more insulation to ground.

If you know that your 120VAC coil works, can you put a 10 or 12.5 Ohm, 100W power resistor in series with it? That would reduce the (steady state) coil voltage to around 120VAC. The biggest problem with this would be that you have to find a way to mount this extra resistor.

I asked an engineer at a local school and he suggested 3220 turns of 25 ga. wire. I'll be giving that a go as soon as I get some bobbins. Pretty close to what Carl suggested.

David

Carl Pugh said:
Double the number of turns and halve the wire area.
Go from 1600 turns to 3200 turns.
Go from 22 AWG (640 circular mills) to 25 AWG (320 circular mills)
resistance will go from 12.5 ohm to 25 ohm.

In the practical case, winding area may become slightly larger or smaller, due to incomplete layers. (Assuming you are using film insulation)
Also the 240 volt may require slightly more insulation to ground.

Carl I agree with the design, but if you double the turns and halve the area you'll get 4 times the resistance, not 2 times as you state.

Four times the resistance is good though. It will give you one half the current (because the voltage is also doubled), the same power dissipation as the original coil and the same number of ampere-turns (hence the same magnetic force) as the original coil. That's pretty much exactly what you want.

BTW. I expect Carl probably knew this and his 2x resistance figure was just a wee slip-up.

Forgot to mention that engineer said the resistance would end up around 48 ohms which is 4X what the 120 VAC coil is now ( 12.1 ohms)

I just received the bobbins...I'll wind the wire on them and get them out to my customer. Should hear something in a week or so.

Thanks to all again!

David

1. How do I determine the correct wire gauge for a 240VAC coil assembly?

The wire gauge for a coil assembly is determined by the amount of current and voltage the coil will be exposed to. In this case, a 22 AWG wire is suitable for a 240VAC coil assembly with 1600 turns as it can handle up to 7 amps of current and has a suitable insulation rating for the voltage.

2. Can I use a different number of turns for my 240VAC coil assembly?

Yes, the number of turns for a coil assembly can vary depending on the desired inductance and resistance. However, it is important to consider the maximum current and voltage ratings of the wire and adjust the gauge accordingly.

3. How do I calculate the inductance of a 240VAC coil assembly with 1600 turns and 22 AWG wire?

The inductance of a coil assembly can be calculated using the formula L = (N^2 * μ * A)/l, where N is the number of turns, μ is the permeability of the core material, A is the cross-sectional area of the coil, and l is the length of the coil. In this case, the inductance would be calculated as L = (1600^2 * μ * A)/l.

4. What is the maximum current rating for a 240VAC coil assembly with 1600 turns and 22 AWG wire?

The maximum current rating for a coil assembly is determined by the wire gauge and its ability to handle heat generated by the current. For a 22 AWG wire, the maximum current rating is typically around 7 amps.

5. Can I use a different core material for my 240VAC coil assembly?

Yes, the core material can vary depending on the desired inductance and resistance. However, it is important to choose a material with suitable permeability for the desired inductance and to consider its maximum temperature rating for the given current and voltage.