1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrical conductivity

1. Jan 13, 2005 #1
    How do you with a simple model explain the temperature dependence of the
    electrical conductivity.
    If you use the Drude model you get for the electrical conductivity

sigma = ne^2t / m

where n is the density of mobile electrons and t is the relaxation time.
    t is the time between collisions and must be the only variabel here that depends on temperature. How can you estimate t(T).

Maybe there is a better model that describes the temperature dependence of the electrical conductivity.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2005 #2
    I never liked the way the drude model gets bogus at the end:

"The only relevant quantity with dimensions of time is the time between collisions".

Alright, thermal collisions are much more frequent than conduction drift collisions. Calculate the distance between electrons N (number of conductivity electrons per cubic meter) arranged in a 1m^3 sphere (fun!). Then calculate the speed of the electrons from temperature using:

KE = 3/2 *k*T

where KE is kinetic energy, k is boltzmans and T is temperature.

Use the mean free path and velocity to compute time between collision.

After all that, throw away the drude model and study quantum mechanics.

4. Jan 19, 2005 #3
    thx for your answer. :smile:

I have a question about mean free path p.
    I calculate it from the density of electrons n (electrons/m^3)
    then p = 1/(third root of n),

and then it should be indepent of temperature.
    But I know that it should be different for different temperatures.
    How can you estimate p for different temperatures?

Then I used your model to estimate the temperature dependence of the thermal conductivity of the free electrons in a metal.

K = C*T*t = D * sqrt(T)

Where C and C are constants and t again is the time between collisions.
    But the experimental curve of K doesnt have this form. Only for low temperatures it has. Then it reaches a maximum and goes down.
    Why?

5. Jan 21, 2005 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Briefly :

The effective relaxation time comes from two contributions : scattering off of the lattice/phonons (not other electrons - the Drude model does not include electron-electron interactions), and scattering off of impurities and lattice imperfections.

[tex] \frac{1}{\tau} = \frac{1}{\tau _{lat}} + \frac{1}{\tau _{imp}} [/tex]

Speaking of resistivities instead of conductivities, you have

[tex] \rho = \rho _ {lat} + \rho _{imp} [/tex]

For most elemental metals, [itex] \tau _ {imp} [/itex] is fairly independent of the temperature. The lattice interactions are largely result of the fact that the lattice is vibrating rapidly, providing a large scattering cross section, so much so, that as [itex]T \rightarrow 0 [/itex], [itex] \rho _ {lat} << \rho _{imp} [/itex]

So, at 0 K : [itex] \rho \approx \rho _ {imp} [/itex]

INCOMPLETE...

Just realized you are now suddenly talking about thermal conductivity [itex]\kappa[/itex], rather than electrical conductivity [itex]\sigma [/itex]. Which one is it ? Drude does NOT try to explain thermal conductivity, and can not, because this is a largely phonon process. Seminal work on thermal conductivity was done by Debye and Pierls.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook